Hello from the mountain Southwest!

rodan

Picked up an FJ-09 yesterday, bike number 30 in a little over 30 years of riding!

DSC_0284_zpsgajv62dh.jpg

After a demo ride a couple of months ago, I was very impressed with the FJ, Yamaha got it almost perfect right out of the gate!  I really wanted it to be a stablemate to my Hayabusa, but just don't have the room for two bikes.  After much thought, and a few other demo rides (S1000R, FZ-09, etc.), I decided to trade the 'Busa.  It was a tough decision, and I'll really miss it.  I spent a lot of years, and went through a bunch of bikes to find the perfect (for me) SPORT-tourer, and it was the 'Busa.

DSCN0119.jpg

The riding position was starting to take it's toll, though, and I wanted something light and a little more 'all 'rounder' this time... so, the FJ it is!

Did some break-in miles last night, and changed the oil and filter... I'm a big believer in the first oil change being done under 100 miles, having seen what comes out...  My race bikes in the past have always made good power on the dyno following this routine.  Today, I set the static sag, adjusted levers and doodads.  All ready for it's first real ride tomorrow. :D

Guest eatpasta
welcome to the site!! yeah I have heard the 'Busa properly equipped makes a dammed near perfect sport touring bike and it also gets ~50mpg. How do you keep it under 130 though?

heh - congrats on the new ride!

It never got 50 mpg... LOL  It did love to cruise along at 85-90mph, which was one of the few problems... that'll get you in trouble eventually!  :o

I put 120miles on the FJ this morning, and it reminds me a lot of the VStrom 1k I had when they first came out.  I've always said that was the best all 'round bike I ever had, but the FJ is looking to be even better.  It's lighter and smoother.  I'm still getting used to riding it, as it's a very different animal from the 'Busa, but I'm already very impressed.

The FJ did get better than 50mpg this morning!

Guest eatpasta
It never got 50 mpg... LOL  It did love to cruise along at 85-90mph, which was one of the few problems... that'll get you in trouble eventually!  :o 
I put 120miles on the FJ this morning, and it reminds me a lot of the VStrom 1k I had when they first came out.  I've always said that was the best all 'round bike I ever had, but the FJ is looking to be even better.  It's lighter and smoother.  I'm still getting used to riding it, as it's a very different animal from the 'Busa, but I'm already very impressed.

The FJ did get better than 50mpg this morning!

nice! 
    Yeah they told me my FJR would get fantastic mileage but mine hovers between 35-40 mpg because; torque.

ricky_zpsqsebqlex.gif

ride on man!

Archived