Yamaha side rails and semi rigid luggage

steve

I don't understand my dealer! Told them I'd come by sometime and pick up the rails (travelling by bus) fit them and then at the weekend collect the bags, seemed OK. Go there around 1:30 and see an extremely harassed Parts Manager, he has what looked like all the panniers and rails all over the floor. He gets my rails, plonks them on the counter and starts to head back into the mess, I tell him I'll be getting the bags at the weekend. Big sigh, rips off some paperwork from the rails and tells me I was supposed pick them up tomorrow!

I'd have thought he'd have been happy there was one less parcel on the floor, but there you go. When I dared enquire if he wanted to process my credit for the cancelled items then, I thought he was going to explode. Ah well only one more trip there and they will probably never see me again.

Anyway enough of my whinging, if anyone is interested as to the manufacturer of the kit, the lock set is SW-Mototech, so suspect the who lot is - packaging says made in 'Republic Czech'. I've assembled the bits on the bike, still have to assemble to rail which will hold the bags - this part is removable from the bike. There is a small bracket behind the passenger foot hangers and a plastic bit which clips and bolts onto the plastic rail under the seats.

When I have the Lego/Meccano bits all together, I'll take some pics.

• Premium Member
I don't understand my dealer! Told them I'd come by sometime and pick up the rails (travelling by bus) fit them and then at the weekend collect the bags, seemed OK. Go there around 1:30 and see an extremely harassed Parts Manager, he has what looked like all the panniers and rails all over the floor. He gets my rails, plonks them on the counter and starts to head back into the mess, I tell him I'll be getting the bags at the weekend. Big sigh, rips off some paperwork from the rails and tells me I was supposed pick them up tomorrow! 
I'd have thought he'd have been happy there was one less parcel on the floor, but there you go. When I dared enquire if he wanted to process my credit for the cancelled items then, I thought he was going to explode. Ah well only one more trip there and they will probably never see me again.

Anyway enough of my whinging, if anyone is interested as to the manufacturer of the kit, the lock set is SW-Mototech, so suspect the who lot is - packaging says made in 'Republic Czech'. I've assembled the bits on the bike, still have to assemble to rail which will hold the bags - this part is removable from the bike. There is a small bracket behind the passenger foot hangers and a plastic bit which clips and bolts onto the plastic rail under the seats.

When I have the Lego/Meccano bits all together, I'll take some pics.
Helpful Steve. Incredible attitude from the dealer. I had a similar experience when I dared ask about my missing toolkit... I have not heard from them, but I hope my kit has also arrived. 

I would only get the free pannier rack if I bought the panniers..
Yes, I'm afraid the Free bit was applied a little too liberally with many dealers. They are no cost if you buy the bike and the panniers not quite the same thing! 

• Premium Member
 so getting the rails free is a good deal.
Were you able to get the rails without purchasing the panniers?
No, I paid for one and got the other free. Or rather, was promised and still hoping...

Some pics of the rails, I don't have the bags yet, but I think there a few pics from Yamaha with the bags fitted - will post with bags if there's interest.

Fittings which remain on the bike - without the rail installed

17235857661_be8be20f57_c.jpg
IMG_2355 by stevephi, on Flickr

17050233979_1133ab987a_c.jpg
IMG_2356 by stevephi, on Flickr

17050235679_be7bedc616_c.jpg
IMG_2357 by stevephi, on Flickr

With the rail fitted - slides into the two guide holders at the top and the bottom piece in front of the plate mounted behind the rear foot peg

17050228299_5a9e28cf1e_c.jpg
IMG_2353 by stevephi, on Flickr

17028978537_5a0a31bf63_c.jpg
IMG_2354 by stevephi, on Flickr

• Premium Member
It will be interesting to compare your rails with the H&B stuff adieefc has.

My dealer emailed yesterday to say he has not had any of the accessories ordered by people with their bike orders in February. He's quite frustrated as he is losing out on quite a bit of revenue as he won't take money unless he has the item in stock.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived