Side Cases - Yamaha vs Shad SH23

For anyone interested, here is a comparison between the Yamaha OEM side cases and the Shad SH23. 

I originally purchased the SH23s, thinking I would be happy with them. I was never completely happy with how they looked. When I came across a nice used set of Yamaha cases on eBay, I couldn't pass them up. 

Yamaha Case Notes:

-Seem to have a bit more space than the SH23 (perhaps my imagination)

-Look better (in my opinion), especially from behind

-Easy to remove, mounts are unobtrusive and barely noticeable once removed

-My left case fits a bit looser than the right side case and wobbles a bit when you shake it, but no actual issue, just annoying

Shad Case Benefits:

-Top opening is awesome, I don't understand why all cases don't open this way.

-Easy to remove also, but not a huge fan of how the mounting hardware looks

A couple of more notes, both the SH23 and the Yamaha side cases cannot comfortably fit my 14" laptop. It will actually barely fit in both of them, but you must put it at a weird angle, and you really don't want to have to force it in. They might fit a 13", but that would be the absolute max. Get a top case or backpack if you plan to carry a laptop regularly (I went with the Shad SH39 for a top case, which I am happy with). I also wish both of them had a way to open the cases without using a key, so you could leave them unlocked but latched shut on trips for easier access, then lock them as you desired. 

IMG-0138 (2)_LImod.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

I love my Shad 23 cases.  They don't overwhelm the looks of the whole bike. Something I think the Yamaha bags do, especially when you add any top box.

I removed that rear white reflector and painted it matte black and removed the Shad stickers.  MUCH BETTER.

• Supporting Member

I bought the SH23 cases to fit the 3P mounting system that I already used with SH36 cases. Very happy with just general utility of the smaller size. The bigger cases get used 2-3 times a year on longer trips. I also just throw my laptop bag into the top case.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

2 hours ago, peteinpa said:

I love my Shad 23 cases.  They don't overwhelm the looks of the whole bike. Something I think the Yamaha bags do, especially when you add any top box.

I removed that rear white reflector and painted it matte black and removed the Shad stickers.  MUCH BETTER.

Hmm - I should try painting the rear reflector on mine, I agree it doesn't help the looks much. I did already remove the stickers. Actually was planning on adding the FJ-09 stickers that go on the front plastics of the bike to the Shad cases also, I thought that might look cool.