2015 FJ-09 vs 2010 Honda VFR1200f

fddriver2

• Premium Member

Some will know my VFR adventure. Seen here. 

Here is a casual side by side comparison.

Power. There is no comparison.

The VFR is much larger CC wise. The "book" says 170hp. I'm not sure about that, but I am sure about the 100ft/lbs of torque. Yes it does have it. Turn the throttle anywhere in the rpm range and off it goes, in whatever gear it's in. Just under 5,000 rpm's is where it gets serious and it pulls like a diesel truck right to 10,000 rpms.

The FJ doesn't have a chance.

Hydraulic clutch took some getting used to, but now it's a plus.

Much tighter than cable. YMMV

Handling. Even at almost 12 years old, but under 15,000 miles. It goes exactly where you point it. Oversteer was a problem for me for a bit. Lines that worked for the FJ, the VFR undercut. Adjusting outward happened a lot early on.  

I have the VFR at the softest settings and the FJ in middle of the road. So to speak. The FJ has 59,000+ miles, So a refreshing is in order. But the VFR is still tense suspension wise. 

The FJ is softer and more vague in every way. That said. On any long multi-day trip. The FJ rules. Rider position, a less sport oriented ride position and suspension means a more comfortable long day. 

Comfort. I am 6'1" 200lbs 34" inseam. It has an "aggressive" rider position IMO. I am also 62 years old.  Seat to pegs is tight for me. Haven't measured it, but it seems short. Distance to grips. short, not sportbike short but it is forward. Even with "helibars".

All that said. I will be in NC over the coming week. On the VFR.

Stay tuned

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

It occurred to me that I never finished this thread. 

Towed the VFR up to Highlands NC. Free lodging for me. 🙂

Weather was hit and miss, so I didn't get the miles I had hoped-for. 

Zero problems with the bike. It is a hoot up in the mountains. 

A bunch of short rides dodging the rain and avoiding rain. For just riding around and short trips it's what I choose. If I were to ride on a long trip, the FJ-09 is still the choice. 

20211023_121848.jpg

20211024_135858.jpg

20211026_165448.jpg

20211026_170151.jpg

20211027_141201.jpg

20211027_135636.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 4

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, banderso said:

Hi,

Nice.

What fuel mileage does the vfr get?

See ya,

bill

A low of 31mpg to a high of 44mpg. It all depends on your right wrist.... 🤷‍♂️

I've looked at the VFR 800 a few times.  Nice bike but weighs a bit more than the Tracer 900GT I have.  The VFR 1200 would certainly be a nice bike on the long rides.  Long wheelbase and shaft drive would be nice.

EDIT:  Out of curiosity looked up wheelbase for the bikes.  FJ09 is 56.7 inches, Tracer GT (19 & 20) 59.1 inches and the 2010 VFR 1200 60.8 inches.  By comparison an R6 wheelbase is 54.1 inches.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

I've looked at the VFR 800 a few times.  Nice bike but weighs a bit more than the Tracer 900GT I have.  The VFR 1200 would certainly be a nice bike on the long rides.  Long wheelbase and shaft drive would be nice.

It's seating position is a bit aggressive for long days and my 62 year old body. Even with Helibars. The more upright seating of the FJ wins the (long) day.

• Thumbsup 2