Tricity Evolution - potential glimpse at future specialized Niken

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Stumbled across this article looking at a Tricity concept targeted with disaster recovery efforts in mind.  Possible future use for a specialized Niken if they utilize an automatic transmission in future versions.  

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/11/02/yamaha-off-road-scooter/#slide-2359515 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member

Good question. Generally speaking, the city roads in Japan and Italy are much narrower and more congested than US roads and the Tricity scooter (125cc) version is significantly smaller than a traditional ATV/side by side e.g, Polaris RZR side by side.  
Many roads in Japan were built with pedestrian  and small motorcycles <125cc in mind after World War II and many Italian cities were designed with horse and carriage in mind vs the automobile sizes you see today. Driving in Italy is an exercise in inches of clearance on roadways in more urban areas as evidenced by all cars and scooters showing scrape damage on all side view mirrors. 

When you have the population density of major urban areas like Tokyo and Rome, sheer traffic density also makes it difficult to get to areas in need after a major disaster.  Hence a smaller vehicle  in theory should get there faster under challenging conditions.  The photo attached is actually a weekday in Tokyo during the recent Olympics. Odds are emergency services will have a better chance of reaching their destination in a smaller vehicle. 

Granted this Tricity is marketed as being off-road but I believe that's just enhancing its capabilities for disaster recovery purposes after a major earthquake or flooding in urban areas where transportation infrastructure has been severely compromised. Think buildings having collapsed, blocked/collapsed roads/bridges,in addition to trying to get to remote rural areas in the mountains where towns might be blocked off due to landslides, or even the blockage due to abandoned cars/vehicles as folks are trying to flee from an area. 

Additionally, in some countries I've heard that the  Tricity does not require a motorcycling license to operate because of its three wheels and automatic transmission - potentially enlarging the available pool of first responders who can get on scene faster. 

B96E3C5D-A3E1-4AE9-AD8F-F81320A67F48.jpeg

28CFBEC1-801E-4EB2-B7EF-6F0C5FA3B74E.jpeg

91107DB7-9FCB-4547-93D3-48BE319B72E9.jpeg

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Also the sheer cost of gas in Japan and Europe is way higher (~20% to ~100%) than in the US, so running costs become much more significant than what you see in the US. 

According to CNN, the cost of a gallon of gas in Tokyo  = $4.24 USD per gallon while in Milan, Italy the cost per gallon = $5.96 USD. 

https://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/global_gasprices/

So a RZR 1000 has a 9.5 gallon tank, and according to RZR forums general consensus seems to be about 13mpg per gallon. So you're maybe getting a little under 130 miles per tank on a RZR 1000 per ~$40USD fill up in Tokyo or ~$57 in Milan. 

The Tricity 125 has a  fuel tank size of 1.9 gallons and a fuel economy average of 76.1 MPG according to Fuelly https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/yamaha/tricity/2014 

Meaning a range of ~144 miles per tank at a cost of ~$8.06USD per fill up in Tokyo or  $11.32 USD in Milan. 

BC755537-C7CE-44E9-B1D4-DA15125DF668.png

Meaning a Tricity 125 fuel cost of about ~1/5 that of a RZR 1000. 

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT

• 1 month later...

I have for short distances a Tricity 300. In fact this bike, in Germany it is license wise considered as a car, brought me to the Niken. The fun machine per se, but for unexperienced drivers difficult to handle. Heavy and high center of grayity. 

It runs 80 ml/h, 0.8gl are good for 62 miles. I fitted Heidenau Winter tires arround the year. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 12/30/2021 at 6:45 PM, Urs J said:

I have for short distances a Tricity 300. In fact this bike, in Germany it is license wise considered as a car, brought me to the Niken. The fun machine per se, but for unexperienced drivers difficult to handle. Heavy and high center of grayity. 

It runs 80 ml/h, 0.8gl are good for 62 miles. I fitted Heidenau Winter tires arround the year. 

Any pictures of your Tricity? We don't get to see the Tricity here in the US since it's not sold here. 

2019 Niken GT