• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

20 minutes of idling…..

NormR

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, Skidood said:

internal temperature actually goes up a bit when you shut her off

Heat wash!  Our 928 does that, too, even though it's fuel injected...sometimes it won't start as easily as usual when this happens.

• Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Count me among the folks who had no idea the bikes would shut themselves off after 20 minutes. Makes sense. Do cars do that too?

I guess this is the new thing I learned for today.

Most air-cooled bikes and even quite a few older liquid-cooled bikes are not very good at keeping their cool during extended idle times. With the FJ/Tracer that's not a concern -- it's a thoroughly modern engine and cooling system.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, bwringer said:

With the FJ/Tracer that's not a concern -- it's a thoroughly modern engine and cooling system.

I agree, even when its 38 C out there.  Ain't gonna hurt the motor.   But the cooling fan blows hot air back at you, which sucks.

• Thumbsup 2

In winter, only thing I fire the bike to warm is the heated grips. If I could heat the tires I would do that too. Engine warms up just fine while riding. 

I wish all vehicles would shut down after idling for more than a few minutes. With all the fancy displays now, you could even put a countdown on the screen. Displayed icon could be a thumb up the ass. 

• Thumbsup 1