Triple tree bearings 2015 fj-09

My fj-09 has high speed wobble so when I get around to installing the Adrienne cartridges I'm doing new bearings in the triple tree but this schematic doesn't show the bottom section. I need to order both top and bottom right?

Screenshot_20220425-072235_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Premium Member

A high speed "wobble" is not necessary caused by bad steering head bearings. 

There could be several possibly interrelated causes.

You should perform a couple of simple checks (I think related in the shop manual) before going to the time and expense of replacing the upper (1) and lower (40, shown in the Fork diagram) bearings always along with their races if dimpled and/or worn).  Which, BTW, are much less expensive at PartShark located in Indianapolis).

Some people like the feel of the OEM type caged roller bearings versus the slightly more dull feel but more durable tapered needle bearing and race sets available from ie AllsBalls.

I have 50k+ miles on my 15 and the SH bearings are still servicable; although greasing them would be good practice. 

I however do not pull wheelies, and likely couldn't if I tried. 

Screenshot_20220425-074618_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220425-074545_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220425-074421_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I however do not pull wheelies, and likely couldn't if I tried.

If you haven't pulled several inadvertent wheelies without even trying, then I'm afraid something is bad wrong with your FJ.

Or maybe it just took me a little time to acclimate my right hand...

Anyway, yes, great info on the bearings. Partshark is a great source if you want OEM, and Online Cycle Parts (located just north of Indy; Partshark is on the northeast side) is another. There are several dealerships scattered around selling parts online at a discount.

https://www.onlinecycleparts.com

Personally, I'll be dropping in a set of All Balls tapered bearings when that time comes.

• Premium Member

With my excessive mass, Givi case guards with DL and hiway pegs, larger screen, farkles, cell, GPS, RD, KTM handguards, ECU flash smoothing response, K-Tech Razor R lengthened and massaged fork, the natural tendency to wheelie is significantly suppressed.

Anyway, I'm too old to try anymore.

• Thumbsup 1

21 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

With my excessive mass, Givi case guards with DL and hiway pegs, larger screen, farkles, cell, GPS, RD, KTM handguards, ECU flash smoothing response, K-Tech Razor R lengthened and massaged fork, the natural tendency to wheelie is significantly suppressed.

Anyway, I'm too old to try anymore.

I have pulled wheelies not trying but I'm trying to keep some tread in the middle of my back tire so I try not to. 😁