fj-09; which Loctite for the cam tensioner bolts ?

howie333

Cam tensioner will be reinstalled soon , and not sure which Loctite to use on the 2 retaining bolts. manual just states loctite. Red 271 permanent; 272 hi temp; 277 hi strength, or 242 blue. existing locking agent is red, but I'd doubt its the permanent type. Also should blue 242 be put on center cap even though there's a gasket ?

Thank You...

I've been using the newer (newish, newest?) orange on almost everything lately.  Not permanent, like the red but stronger than the blue, although I've never had anything loosen, unintentionally, after using the blue.

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

17 hours ago, howie333 said:

Cam tensioner will be reinstalled soon , and not sure which Loctite to use on the 2 retaining bolts. manual just states loctite. Red 271 permanent; 272 hi temp; 277 hi strength, or 242 blue. existing locking agent is red, but I'd doubt its the permanent type. Also should blue 242 be put on center cap even though there's a gasket ?

Thank You...

@howie333
242 blue, only use a small amt. you now know what a bitch it was to get those 2 screws out, so make sure you can get them out next time!

nothing on the center cap bolt; except the washer. Note the torque is only (I think) 5 or 6nm -MUCH lighter torque than the 2 Allen socket head bolts!

-S

• Thumbsup 1

42 minutes ago, skipperT said:

@howie333
242 blue, only use a small amt. you now know what a bitch it was to get those 2 screws out, so make sure you can get them out next time!

nothing on the center cap bolt; except the washer. Note the torque is only (I think) 5 or 6nm -MUCH lighter torque than the 2 Allen socket head bolts!

-S

Thanks; I doubt I'll be able to torque those 2 fastener bolts them anyway. I'll have to go by feel. 

On 3/18/2023 at 7:57 AM, howie333 said:

Thanks; I doubt I'll be able to torque those 2 fastener bolts them anyway. I'll have to go by feel. 

It’s difficult. Only way I’ve been able to do it is with a long ball-end allen socket and my 1/4 torque wrench Working around the frame.  I don’t recommend that because it’s too easy to round out the fasteners. 
-Skip