If I shorten the rear shock?

• Premium Member

Will the angle of the side stand be greater or less, and will the seat, obviously, be lower?

Fastest Red 15

Razor R Shock

1 mm longer than OEM

Shock length analysis

1 ccw/cw turn = 1 mm

Estimate turns available = 1.5+ to jam nut

• Premium Member

It should lower the saddle and straightened up the bike more which leans over too much on the side stand when I get on it cowboy style.

Even with a fully loaded top case I don't bottom out and I rarely drag my toes

So my damping and spring rates seem to be pretty close otherwise

I can always lower the front by raising the tubes which are now at stock height. I've tried it lower and went back to stock with my current Shock length. 

I've cleaned with isopropal alcohol the Torrington thrust bearing and its 8 mm spacer at the top of the spring. Blew it out with compressed air, let in dry and then sprayed it with Dupont nonstick dry film ceramic lubricant, then blew it with compressed air again to drive it into the bearing.

I did a similar thing at the bottom of the shock clevis rod threads below the preload adjuster. There is a small screw that must be loosened first before turning the preload adjuster.

To shorten or lengthen the shock you must remove the clevis bolt. I first loosen the jam nut on the clevis' rods threaded shank, and will rotate CW the clevis itself to shorten the shock.  Kind of a PITA with my back issues, so I should put on the table lift and use my own gantry to lift the frame at the pillion peg brackets using a small scissor jack to raise as needed the swing arm.

My question is am I lucid here?

Sidestand will be fine, IMHO. 
I don’t think you’ll notice a difference if the Razor R is lowered 1mm. Maybe while sitting on the bike, but that’s probably it. 

I think I went 3 turns on my Razor R and didn’t notice a difference.

-Skip

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, skipperT said:

Sidestand will be fine, IMHO. 
I don’t think you’ll notice a difference if the Razor R is lowered 1mm. Maybe while sitting on the bike, but that’s probably it. 

I think I went 3 turns on my Razor R and didn’t notice a difference.

-Skip

Thanks 

I'll shorten it AMAP and see if it helps.  Maybe reduce preload a turn or 2 and see how it rides and sits.

BTW Testing Dupont's newer DFL ceramic for MC chain use.  So far better than their old Teflon formula.

20230319_133909.jpg

20230319_133925.jpg

20230317_140124.jpg

Screenshot_20230319_134648_Chrome.jpg

• Thumbsup 1