Front sprocket question

Hoodoo

Hello all,

Last year I installed a new sprocket set from sprocket center.  Front and rear came off easily, the new rear went on easily.

The front sprocket took a lot of wiggling, light tapping, lubricant to work it on.  I was able to get it off in the same manner with no damage to the front sprocket.  So I installed it and left it with the new chain.

Everything is working fine, but I'm starting to wonder:

- Is it best to take the sprocket off and replace it?

- Is there any change of the sprocket corroding to the drive shaft and making removal any more difficult?

14 minutes ago, Hoodoo said:

...Last year I installed a new sprocket set from sprocket center.  Front and rear came off easily

...Is it best to take the sprocket off and replace it?

I thought you did take the sprocket off and replaced it - right?

1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

So you took off the original and put it back on?  I am not really following your question.

Maybe it would be easier to continue your original thread on sprockets

1 hour ago, Hoodoo said:

- Is there any change of the sprocket corroding to the drive shaft and making removal any more difficult?

No problem. I suppose you meant "chance" of sprocket corroding to shaft, no, not really.

Edited by Lone Wolf
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

A new front is cheap money.  Replace it!

And enjoy that nice fresh damping rubber.

• Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Was it difficult to remove the new sprocket once it was installed?  My only concern would be that over time any mild corrosion or oxidization could make future removal of the sprocket a bit difficult if it is already a tight fit.

I prefer the OEM sprocket with the rubber damper.  Only thing to be aware of is that depending on the shape of the side plates on whatever new chain you install, the chain slack may become loose after the side plates wear into the damper a bit.  This will occur rather quickly so you would want to recheck your slack soon after first riding with the new chain and sprockets.  

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.