Hello from East Texas

etex

I went to UT Austin; lived there for about 14 years (no, it did not take me 14 years to graduate).  It seems hard to believe now, but Austin was a sleepy middle sized college town in the 60's and 70's.  A beautiful, quiet town.  Empty streets downtown after 6pm and weekends.  Home to Barton Springs, the Capitol grounds (the state capitol building was open and available to the public 24 x 7 with just a few guards walking around), Eeyore's birthday party at Pease park (free beer for all!) and Willie Nelson was young (as was I).  Then, the technology industry came, along with crowds, traffic worse than anything and other big city ailments.   Austin is not the city of old, no longer the old River City.  Austin hurts my soul when I must go there now.

Sorry to meander into maudlin memories of time past and gone.

• Thumbsup 2

My wife was in Austin recently for business. Sadly, happens to a lot of places. Seattle was a nothing little Boeing city back in the day. The tech boom changed everything. Microsoft campus was called 80 acres, and we rode dirt bikes there. Wide open nothing, with the occasional abandoned car. 

I’ve been mourning Austin for 30 years. I remember Austin in the 50s. whenever I talk about Austin, I must sound like etex. I finally got fed up with it and moved to New Mexico. Much better climate, a lot fewer ppl, and a lot fewer roads. If central TX has anything, it is endless great roads. After another 20 years I moved further West to LA. Back to the crowds, but no culture wars. And we got lane splittting here!!!

On 5/21/2023 at 12:42 PM, etex said:

I've ridden out of Hot Springs during two rain sodden days last spring.   Road to Petit Jean and parts east and west.  Lots of twisties and scenery.  Arkansas is a beautiful state.  I'll be visiting again sometime.  And the next time I'll be on my Tracer 9.

Right next to Petit Jean is Mount Magazine Hwy 309. A buddy and I usually turn around at the sign/overlook at the top. Run back to the bottom and back up its that good. Also the Best Western in Russellville is around 65.00 bucks for 2 queens for a night. And no, Joe and I aren't queens. Get your minds out of the gutter!

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

On 5/21/2023 at 1:54 PM, TomTracer said:

AR 125 to Peel has a free ferry across an arm of the lake heading to Ozark, MO. 

125 above the ferry is EXCELLENT! One of the roads we love the most. Plus while you're in the area, 341 Push Mountain Road into Norfork, AR Heidi's Ugly Cake and Sandwich Shop has a great Rubin. Low carb burger or sweet cakes till the cows come home. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Have stayed at Mt Mag lodge several times. Lots of rally groups meet there-Ferarri, Porsche. Corvettes. MX5, you name it.

You go thru Paris. AR coming down from Mt. MAG. PARIS was where Hannigan fairings were made for many years. Mainly for vintage BMW's, hacks and racers, they were the clamshell style. 

Edited by TomTracer
Added onfo
  • Thumbsup 1