Flashed ECU - Dealer can't read codes?

My 2015 FJ-09 has had the ECU flashed by 2 Wheel Dynoworks.

I've been getting a problematic intermittent " Check Engine " light which causes the bike to power down.  Something is wrong.  I then need to cycle through the on / off process until the light goes off and it runs fine.  Does not happen always but enough to make me not wish to wander too far from base.

I took it in to the local Yamaha dealer and they said due to the flash, they could not read the ECU and the they " were worried about my safety ".  They suggested a new ECU at an estimated $1500-2K.  I brought my bike home. 

2 Wheel claims the flash won't impact an ECU read.  Not sure what to do?  Go to another dealer?  Has anyone else had this problem? Suggestions?

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, LarryBud said:

My 2015 FJ-09 has had the ECU flashed by 2 Wheel Dynoworks.

I've been getting a problematic intermittent " Check Engine " light which causes the bike to power down.  Something is wrong.  I then need to cycle through the on / off process until the light goes off and it runs fine.  Does not happen always but enough to make me not wish to wander too far from base.

I took it in to the local Yamaha dealer and they said due to the flash, they could not read the ECU and the they " were worried about my safety ".  They suggested a new ECU at an estimated $1500-2K.  I brought my bike home. 

2 Wheel claims the flash won't impact an ECU read.  Not sure what to do?  Go to another dealer?  Has anyone else had this problem? Suggestions?

When you get a check engine light (CEL) it should show an error code on the right screen to let you know what the error is.  What is the error code?

Is the bike new to you? did it have the ECU flashed when you bought it?  Did the CEL start suddenly or did you do any work on the bike that might have triggered it?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Batoney,

1) I did not notice an Error Code when the check engine light comes on.  May had missed it.  I'll look next time.

2) No new  projects, just riding it.

3) I've had the bike for 2.5 years.  Just done tires and fluids.  It's a real pleasure to ride.  

The flash was done by the previous owner back in 2016.  I have the receipt in my files.

Codes on the ‘15 models are available using the On Board Diagnostics. You can only connect the Yamaha computer system to the Abs side of the early models. 

you may first need to clear codes and then go for another ride to duplicate the problem so that you can troubleshoot with a fresh slate. Note that an ACTIVE code (one that is using the FI light to stay on will NOT be displayed in these screens. 

Is your battery health good? Connections tight? If not, replace it before stressing over this issue. 

plug into a tender while in these modes if it’s your first time. 

post back. 
skip

• Thanks 1

I'm struggling a little here.  Since I didn't catch the code when the CEL was on, do I:

1) Wait until it happens again and look for it?

2) Look through the saved codes to see what it was ( not exactly sure how to do this )?

3) Clear old codes and ride until it happens again?

If it's 2 or 3 is there a tutorial somewhere?  I have both the operator manual and the service manual and I don't see instruction in either?

Thanks

Screenshot 2023-06-11 5.31.50 AM.png

Simple answer? Yes. 
I’ll elaborate to try and guide you. 

1- if the code is Active when the bike is started, a number will appear in the display. Having the sidestand down and being in Neutral activates this function, so if the FI light illuminates on a ride, pull over put the bike in neutral (sidestand down?) and check for the Active code number in the display. 

2 and 3- are covered in the service manual but not exactly written in a precise step by step. Follow the link I originally posted, and scroll down to my response to user TracerRacer for an explanation of what data channel 61 and 62 contain and what they mean. The link I posted to TracerRacer also links to a discussion and list of codes copied from the Service manual. 

This may seem overwhelming but is actually a fairly easy and fast process. New bike owners aren’t so lucky. 

Consult the Electrical System chapter of the SM for all the deets, subsection FI system page 8-31. An understanding of Active vs Occurred/“Repaired” fault codes and the power of the Data stream in DIAG mode will assist you in figuring this out. The Troubleshooting method section of the book is where the confusion usually starts. Realize that Yamaha also uses a Fault code number, which is different than a Diagnostic code number.

If it were me, read the fault codes, write them down, erase the fault codes, and ride until the issue pops up again. Do this if following the instructions above (#1) doesn’t yield any info (FI light doesn’t illuminate when started)

This is a tricky process to type out partly because Yamaha doesn’t explain it very well. hopefully some of this makes sense  

-S

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2