My two week review of ownership...:)

So I live on a small island where it is impossible to safely go over 60mph other than a few places - and even then only for a few hundred yards.

Finally, I got to open her up today, and I can say  WOW, OMFG what an engine this thing has. I haven't had lots of powerful motorbikes, but I have had a couple of 750's putting out 100bhp

This FJ feels like it is putting out 155bhp, not the claimed 115. For me it is a seriously fast bike. I couldn't go too fast today because there were gusty crosswinds, but I had it up to 187kmh -116mph, and it just felt like the engine wasn't even begining to slow. I don't normally do those kind of speeds, but I wanted to check it out for potential tank slappers (none)

So my review is that it is a handfull of engine. I am not comfortable enough with it to criticise the handling. Its a big change for me going from lightweight sportbikes to this.

Incidently, I've been going into corners too fast, which isn't much fun as there is quite a bit of grit on the roads where I live. I think I have figured it out: That I am so high up it seems I am going slower than I am.

Windshield - garbage, I'm amazed they got out the factory door - it's worse than nothing.

I'm starting to really like it - at high speed it feels so planted, and relaxed. I'm really looking forward to camping with it!

Mirrors - yay! Mirrors that work (unlike my last two bikes)

I don't think the fuelling is great - but I have it on "B" which makes it more tolerable.

I don't like the unique fasteners that are on there, and it looks like quite a complicated bike to work on.

There are some pet peeves - like the ignition switch being buried, but overall I think this might be a keeper

• Thumbsup 2

Yes it is definitely a fun bike, glad that you're happy.

It has a few annoying things as you've found out.

The screen is useless, the ignition is in a dumb place, the omission of an adjustable clutch lever when it has an adjustable brake lever makes you scratch your head, suspension quality, the lower pannier location brackets that were made from old boat anchors, the stupid midget foot pegs, and I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting.

But everything is easily fixed.

The fuelling is indeed bad stock, but the fuel cut off on closed throttle makes it worse. Both fixed with an ECU flash.

I think the quarter turn fasteners are fantastic, makes working on the bike a lot quicker and you can't over tighten them which seems like some peoples favourite pastime.

• Thumbsup 3

Lots of people have trouble with the stock screen.  I added a GIVI spoiler to mine and it works quite well. 

(I'm 5'10", with a 30" inseam, for ref)

I also added some straight-up risers for the handlebars.  Double benefit that it's more comfortable seating and it's easier to access the ignition switch.

Where did you ride?

t900 add.jpg

Edited by Heavy
  • Thumbsup 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

My old boss was a lawyer - one day we were talking about text messages, and she said that a text message doesn't show who sent it.  - I rode on the Vancouver Island highway - beautiful road surface - much of it fenced from animals. I guess Ontario is nice too - but big, lol

The PO of my bike had installed some rattling monstrosity that was missing pieces.

I just took it off and have been riding for two years with no windscreen. Looks fine, works fine, and I find I have zero urge to install another.

Try it... you might like it.

18 hours ago, arthur said:

My old boss was a lawyer - one day we were talking about text messages, and she said that a text message doesn't show who sent it.  - I rode on the Vancouver Island highway - beautiful road surface - much of it fenced from animals. I guess Ontario is nice too - but big, lol

I've ridden around Vancouver Island a little ... my brother lives in Victoria and I've ridden out a few times.  Pretty place, but pretty expensive too.

I have a great mix of riding where I live now.  Have a CRF250 Rally for exploring dirt roads and trails and the Tracer for more focused road work.

Oct 14a.jpg

road.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• 1 month later...

I agree with the windscreen . My bike came with this huge touring windscreen that acted like a sail in crosswinds and made the bike look really bad. I put on the OEM. Terrible. At 6'2" I had some horrible buffeting in my helmet, no matter how I adjusted it. I was able to figure out that it was about 2-3" too tall. I was about to cut it down to that amount. However, I was able to find this racing screen from Puig. Perfect at the lowest setting

20230128_151428.jpg