Tracer 9 quick shifter on 900 GT

I haven't been able to find any info on this at all. I'm trying to find out if I can replace my 2020 GT quick shifter with one for new model MT09 or Tracer 9. David at Vcyclenut would only say he doesn't mess with factory quick shifters, tells me he don't know, and says I definitely would not have auto blipper for downshifts. But that is what I want and by all reports the new quick shifter is buttery smooth up and down. I'm wondering if the new model QS would be a plug-and-play on mine or if it would just need one extra wire run somewhere for the auto blip, or if it just isn't going to work. I'm not looking to buy an aftermarket unit when I can get the new factory unit for $177 on motorsport. Any knowledgeable help would be appreciated.

Quick shifters or the sensor and rod are a dumb item, the cutting, delay and auto blip happens in the ECU.

Swapping a QS from one bike to another is not going to give you extra features.

A lot of stuff is happening in the background once you start moving the gear lever. There is an initial delay, than a cut off time, all change according to revs and sometimes even gear you're selecting.

• Thumbsup 1

That's what I'm trying to find out, if my ECU would have had to have been factory programmed to accept the downshifts and do auto blip. If that's the case, then that brings up the question of how can an aftermarket QS work by hooking a wire to your coil for up shifts and a wire to your potentiometer for downshifts? Edit: I just remembered I believe they have to have a piggyback circuit board on the aftermarket downshifter. Correct?

Edited by Mountain GT

Correct, they have their own circuit board, but not all QS that have downshift have auto blippers. 
I have a Healteck QS, no outdo blipper on it, and not really made for downshift, but I still manage to do them without a problem. 
I actually very rarely use the clutch after taking off unless I’m in traffic, under 4500rpm or coming to a stop. 
Even second to first is very smooth if you know what you’re doing. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

You dont need a quick shifter.  Don’t all the FJ09 and Tracers have fully messed transmission?  My 15 does and I know some other models have it to. All you need to do is let up on throttle shift and re-throttle.  So it does basically the same as an aftermarket auto shifter inside the trans.  

• Thumbsup 1

There is a big difference between clutchless up shifts and a quick shifter. 
I didnt think much about a qs until I put one on my track 04 R1.  I fell in love with it. I didnt have do a thing with the throttle, just twist hard and upshift when needed. 
The qs is the reason I waited till the 2019 Gt came out. Its one of those things you dont think much about until you use one. I thought cc was silly on a motorcycle until I used it. 
It has been so nice just to come out of a corner onto a straight, get hard on the throttle and just upshift while still hard on the gas……makes things easier. 
So yeah you dont need one, but once you use one, its hard to go back to clutchless upshifts.

Now here is a question…..There are different type sensors that can be used on the shift rod…..push, pull, push/pull. If the sensor on a 2019 is a push type, what would happen if a push/pull type replaced it. The ECU just sees a signal from the sensor, doesnt care about the direction the shift rod moves. 
Hmmmmm interesting…

• Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, duckie said:

There is a big difference between clutchless up shifts and a quick shifter. 
I didnt think much about a qs until I put one on my track 04 R1.  I fell in love with it. I didnt have do a thing with the throttle, just twist hard and upshift when needed. 
The qs is the reason I waited till the 2019 Gt came out. Its one of those things you dont think much about until you use one. I thought cc was silly on a motorcycle until I used it. 
It has been so nice just to come out of a corner onto a straight, get hard on the throttle and just upshift while still hard on the gas……makes things easier. 
So yeah you dont need one, but once you use one, its hard to go back to clutchless upshifts.

Now here is a question…..There are different type sensors that can be used on the shift rod…..push, pull, push/pull. If the sensor on a 2019 is a push type, what would happen if a push/pull type replaced it. The ECU just sees a signal from the sensor, doesnt care about the direction the shift rod moves. 
Hmmmmm interesting…

You might be onto something here, didn't think of it that way.

On my Healtech QS, I can set it to sense on push, pull, or both.

You won't get it to blip, but it should cut ignition both ways. Only issue might be delay and cutoff times.

Edited by OZVFR

There have been a few times where I was getting ready to downshift and put my foot on top of the shifter and for some reason, it would downshift smoothly without use of the clutch or any action on the throttle. I havent tired to do it on purpose.