Rain

wessie

• Premium Member
I have moved into a new role at work where I no longer have to take my car to work, "just in case." I can commute the 11 miles by bike which is great and being a rufty tufty sort, I rode there in rain this morning.

Whilst we may decry the screen on this bike creating a lot of noise with the air blast around one's helmet, so to speak, this air flow does mean that one's visor is kept clear of water as it just shoots off the edge of the visor. I quite like this effect.

On my R1150GS very little rain hit the visor so you would get spray from vehicles hitting you in the face but no clean rain to wash it off again. Annoying. This shouldn't happen on the Tracer. 

I've put this thread in the screen section as that was my main point, but incidentally, the half fairing does a decent job of keeping rain off your upper legs. Without a fender extender, of course your boots and shins get filthy. I wore overtrousers to keep my jeans clean & dry but the shorty Daytona boots I wear on the bike and in the office didn't look very shiny today. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I can tell you that my commute, in rain or wind has much improved over what I experienced on my previous naked bike. Even the hand guards help. Btw I wonder if those who have removed their hand guards can comment on the effect this had on the wind and weather protection?

I definitely experience less spray and rain, and what hits me still blows off as you say. If you commute through the year you also appreciate the ABS and TCS. If you think you have good control and brake better that ABS, good luck. But at some point on a dark January morning some guy in an Audi A3 is going to take a gap and swing out from in front of the coach you are just filtering past. It's nice to grab the front brake lever in your winter gloves and also stomp on the rear knowing there is a safety net.

Commuting in the rain a Pinlock visor is a must. My winter gloves have wipers and suede for wiping the visor, in summer I carry one of those silicon wipers that fit over the index finger. If you collect too much road spray you have to wipe the visor.

I usually wear my four seasons Richa jacket and trousers. It is waterproof enough. I leave a whole wardrobe in the office and change when I get to work. The state of my jacket ensures that I get personal space in the lift!

But when I walk in I have a smile on my face. Not so the poor souls that got squashed on the Jubilee line...

January obviously is the worst, and it is the combination of darkness, rain and ice that makes it miserable and sometimes scary. Tonight there was a serious wind though, and I think I dislike riding in a strong and gusty wind more that rain.

Look, I've become an Englishman, complaining about the weather!

• Premium Member
I dislike riding with a wind too. The worst I have experienced was in the Black Forest area of Germany. I think that may have had something to do with the consumption of Weissbier the night before.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I dislike riding with a wind too. The worst I have experienced was in the Black Forest area of Germany. I think that may have had something to do with the consumption of Weissbier the night before.
Several members here complained about the choppy ride. I find it helps to get rid of the wind.

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member
I see that you had at 1150I have or 1100 GS thinking of swapping for fj what is your comparison View Thx Tom
I saw this after I replied to your thread here http://fj-09.org/thread/2811/giving-r1100gs 
I have added a further post to answer the above query in that thread rather than be off topic here

• Premium Member
I missed this post the first time around...

I have the opposite experience with this windshield. Rain deposits directly on my faceshield and doesn't easily shed off. I'm 6'3" (190cm) and have the stock shield in the highest position.

And yet again I can't believe I'm still running with the stock screen.

Archived