Two week ride to Pacific Northwest from Louisiana

lather

We met up in Amarillo Saturday and rode to Salida Co Sunday, Rock Springs WY Sunday then Rexburg ID and LA Grande, OR tonight. Astoria WA tomorrow. Then working our way home. Highlite will be Glacier NP

The smoke at Rowena was nothing compared to todays ride from Seatle to Grand Coulee. I'm pretty sue we passed some great wceery unfortunetly we could barely see it.

• Sad 2

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, lather said:

The smoke at Rowena was nothing compared to todays ride from Seatle to Grand Coulee. I'm pretty sue we passed some great wceery unfortunetly we could barely see it.

I just encountered the same thing.  I took a 3-day trip down the Oregon coast and even near the ocean it was impossible to escape the smoke, I cut my trip short by 1 day and re-routed due to fire related highway closures.

This is zoomed out so it doesn't show all of the smaller wildfires but it gives a good idea of the smoke coverage.  Unfortunately, Google Maps have created new map layers showing wildfires and air quality index.

image.thumb.png.e8297238a45f2ac78ada8404f0f68795.png

• Sad 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yes I noticed the new Google maps layer for wild fires. We were originally going to ride us 20 today but it was closed due to fires. Hopefully our route tomorrow will not be too smokey.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, lather said:

Yes I noticed the new Google maps layer for wild fires. We were originally going to ride us 20 today but it was closed due to fires. Hopefully our route tomorrow will not be too smokey.

It's unfortunate that you are missing Highway 20 as it is spectacular.  However the Eastern part of 20 is open and a fantastic ride as well, unfortunately that whole area is suffering from smoke coverage right now, some of it rating as hazardous level.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Adding a +1 for Hwy 20 aka North Cascades highway, one of our hidden jewels for the summer. Unfortunately with the amount of wildfires affecting many areas, you’ll be missing some spectacular scenery. Hopefully you can make a return trip in the future!

• Thumbsup 3

• 2 weeks later...

I returned to home base yesterday after 6078 miles. I had planned to update this report as the ride progressed but got busy having fun plus my crappy Surface Tablet does not work well with this forum. Below are link to a track of our trip, in two parts because Google maps limit file uploads to 5 MB.  The four of us, who live in different areas,  met up in Amarrillo and split up in Phillipsburg.

Part 1 Amarillo, TX to Astoria, OR

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1Pfne7AKZUAzRt60iD2fZoklz9YqRABs&usp=sharing

Part 2 Astoria, OR to Phillipsburg, KS

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1huzcFr4lQL0ytmA3acvI70qrW51CYbM&usp=sharing

• Thumbsup 2

Here are our bikes on the Bainbridge Ferry across Puget Sound. Bike get to go to the front of the line to board the ferry so we had a great view as we approached downtown Seattle

20230819_074904.jpg

SeattleacrossPugetSound.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, lather said:

Here are our bikes on the Bainbridge Ferry across Puget Sound. Bike get to go to the front of the line to board the ferry so we had a great view as we approached downtown Seattle

Yup, that's the best part of our ferry system, bike get loaded first and onto the front of the ferry. If there's a ferry line of cars, bikes get to pass the car line to the ticket booth as priority.

Glad you got to enjoy the water views!  Me and a few buddies do rides through out the year that takes on various routes and ferries to experience these lovely scenic islands. 

• Thumbsup 1

The night before we rode the ferry we spent in Astoria, OR and the next morning rode into Washington and US 101 along the coast with a stop at Seaview Beach to get pictures with the Pacific in the background. The Tracer sure makes those BMWs look fugly!

SeaviewBeach.jpg

Edited by lather
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1