FJ09 vs Versys 1000

I'm torn between these 2 bikes. When I 1st saw the FJ09 at the motorcycle show, I didn't like it. I think it had a lot to do with the accessory hard bags (a requirement for me). I hated them. I thought the Versys with bags was more put together. Since then, the FJ has been getting great reviews (so has the Versys), so I'm looking at it again. Now that I know I can use the much better looking and functional FJR bags or the Givi V35s, it's once again a viable option for me.
From everything I've read, the FJ seems to be a great, comfortable, light and nimble sporty bike that you can add the hard bags for an occasional trip. The Versys seems like a great light sport touring bike that you would occasionally take the bags off for a sporty ride. Curious what others have thought about the 2, and why you chose 1 over the other.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was considering the Versys 1000, waited and waited for the dock strike to resolve. I knew the FJ was much lighter and bought. Glad I did. Very happy. I checked out the Versys when it came in. It seemed like a real handful to push around . The FJ is so nimble and fun. Last time I had a bike was a Kawa in late 70s. What a change in that period. I live in canyon country and the FJ was right for me.

I was also very interested in the Versys 1K, but I was never able to find one to look at/ sit on. Ultimately, it would have been nearly as heavy as my 'Busa, so I likely would have picked the FJ9 anyway. That 100lbs is a huge difference!

The FJ-09 is about $1,000 cheaper if you include the bags to make it even.  I've put the power to weight numbers below.  They are close, probably close enough only a skilled rider would be able to tell the difference but technically the FJ should have better power to weight which is the important number.  The weight, even the most novice rider will notice.  It can be good and it can be bad.  The weight helps it feel planted on the highway.  Although, I've never ridden the Versys 1000, I can say the FJ-09 feels very planted and secure.  I've ridden in 40-50 mph crosswinds and the only thing that felt affected was my head being pushed to one side.  The bike felt very secure.  I've felt worse in lighter winds on other bikes.  The Versys claims to have a higher loading weight capacity.  The Versys claims it can carry 485 lbs where as the FJ-09 is only 395 lbs.  That is for rider, passenger and luggage.  My guess, the FJ is going to be lighter and more nimble, probably easier to handle especially at low speeds.  The Versys is going to have better carrying capacity and set up better for the long haul.  Both can do a long trip well.  The Versys would be better for the long trip.  Both can do commuting well, but an FJ is going to be better for commuting.  Sitting on the Versys at the store, it felt bigger between the legs for whatever that's worth.  I really don't think you can go wrong with either bike.  They each have their advantages over the other.  I personally chose the FJ because the price and weight.  I have a small spot in the garage and I have to back the bike in up hill to its spot.  87 lbs every time I come home and have to push bike uphill after work makes a huge difference.  My FJ is extremely easy to park in its spot in the garage.  It's even light enough to drag the back wheel sideways if I don't get it lined up right the first time.

Weight: 462 lbs
Claimed Horsepower: 115 hp
Power to Weight(lbs:hp): 4.017:1
Loading capacity: 395 lbs

Versys 1000
Weght: 549 lbs
Claimed Horsepower: 120 hp
Power to Weight (lbs:hp): 4.575:1
Loading capacity: 485 lbs

I too was going to get either the Versys 1000 (I have a ZX-11 Ninja now and love the motor and speed) or the FJ-09 (I have a TDM 850 and love the upright riding position and comfort).  So I wanted a new bike to combine the speed of the Ninja with the comfort of the TDM.  I waited and waited for the Versys 1000 and finally was able to get to a dealer that sold both Kawasaki and Yamaha and had the two bikes in stock so I could compare them.  After sitting on them side-by-side and seeing the huge size difference, it was a no-brainer for me...the FJ was it.  If I was going across country all the time, I might have taken the Versys.  But when I really thought about what type of riding I do most, in the twisties and backroads, commuting, exploring, pushing around the garage and tight maneuvering...I think the FJ takes it.  Both are great bikes...but the FJ-09 is screaming good fun...and nobody quite says that about the "Versatile System" or Versys. 

Guest bmidd
I went on a 30+ minute ride on a Versys and it felt too heavy to me. It also has Kawasaki's typical droning 4-cylinder vibrations, same as a friends Ninja 1K. I didn't even ride the FJ, just sat on it and had the wife sit on it with me and bought it. Not much comparison for me, I was looking for more of an upright solo sport bike than a two up 600# machine that I would rarely use as intended.

I looked at both but the additional weight of the versys was really turning me off. I ended up with the fj and I LOVE it. I think they are both great bikes so I am not dissing the versys, but I put a lot of research into both and I am so glad I chose the fj. I just took a decent ride and came home with a big grin!

i have to add my two cents here and please bear with me .i bought the fj09 in connecticut and delivery when i gte back there in june . in the meantime ,here in miami i tried to compare the fj09 tot he versy and found the versy more comfortable for me ...so ,i decided to test ride the versy but here in miami you first have to pay for it and then test ride it to a maximun of 5 miles at which point i can give it back and get a refund .
i dicided to buy the versy and cancel the fj09 sfter i had the versy in my house . the versy has excellent reviews . so the fj09 .

well last night i insured the versy with geico and all ok except instead of the $99 year i use to pay for my bmw this bike is $165.
then today i went to buy the versy .i had an agreed to price via text of $12,611. out the door .
i put on my armored gear etc...and went to the dealership. i was then told the price is $13,650.

well, the price difference is not that much but the action by gables motorsports in miami is ,in my opinion, sort of bait and switch or outright fraud ...and on this basis i just walked away . i know i may have legal recourse but maybe this is someone upstairs telling me not to buy a bike in miami and wait until i get to connwhere riding is safer.

well ,i still own the fj09...........

i have to add my two cents here and please bear with me .i bought the fj09 in connecticut and delivery when i gte back there in june . in the meantime ,here in miami i tried to compare the fj09 tot he versy and found the versy more comfortable for me ...so ,i decided to test ride the versy but here in miami you first have to pay for it and then test ride it to a maximun of 5 miles at which point i can give it back and get a refund . i dicided to buy the versy and cancel the fj09 sfter i had the versy in my house . the versy has excellent reviews . so the fj09 .

well last night i insured the versy with geico and all ok except instead of the $99 year i use to pay for my bmw this bike is $165.
then today i went to buy the versy .i had an agreed to price via text of $12,611. out the door .
i put on my armored gear etc...and went to the dealership. i was then told the price is $13,650.

well, the price difference is not that much but the action by gables motorsports in miami is ,in my opinion, sort of bait and switch or outright fraud ...and on this basis i just walked away . i know i may have legal recourse but maybe this is someone upstairs telling me not to buy a bike in miami and wait until i get to connwhere riding is safer.

well ,i still own the fj09...........
I'm just curious which aspects you found more comfortable on the Versys.  Was it the pegs? Handlebars?  Seat?  Height? Weight?  Just curious as it may help the OP make a decision.  I agree $1000 difference between OTD prices is enough to make me walk.

I have to agree with ffb13. I've unfortunately never riden the versys (the last kawi demo i went to had all the versys spots filled rather quickly). But the seating seems more comfortable to me. The bars aren't quite as wide, and they might be swept back more. But since they ren't as wide my arms are closer so maybe it seems like less stretch. I just took a test drive of the fj-09 this past weekend. i'm happy i did, it is not the bike for me by any means at all. I was seriously ready for the ride to be over seconds after it started. Which is a shame because it is a bit of a bargain and has crazy power, the throttle is just too twitchy for me, I cant stand the throttle delivery. Obviously it is manageable by all the people here that have the bike and really enjoy it. To the OP I would say try your very hardest to ride them both so you can make a informed decision. What works for one person won't always work for another.

And as far as price goes... like others says similarly equipped its around 1000 dollars, which isn't a huge cost if you are planning on keeping the bike for a few years. I'd much rather spend the extra 1000 and be happy for 5 years, than save a few bucks and hate myself for going based only on price.

IF things are close, check into insurance prices. They can definitely sway you one way or the other. Whatever you get I'm sure you'll be happy. take it easy and ride safe

I have to agree with ffb13. I've unfortunately never riden the versys (the last kawi demo i went to had all the versys spots filled rather quickly). But the seating seems more comfortable to me. The bars aren't quite as wide, and they might be swept back more. But since they ren't as wide my arms are closer so maybe it seems like less stretch. I just took a test drive of the fj-09 this past weekend. i'm happy i did, it is not the bike for me by any means at all. I was seriously ready for the ride to be over seconds after it started. Which is a shame because it is a bit of a bargain and has crazy power, the throttle is just too twitchy for me, I cant stand the throttle delivery. Obviously it is manageable by all the people here that have the bike and really enjoy it. To the OP I would say try your very hardest to ride them both so you can make a informed decision. What works for one person won't always work for another. 
And as far as price goes... like others says similarly equipped its around 1000 dollars, which isn't a huge cost if you are planning on keeping the bike for a few years. I'd much rather spend the extra 1000 and be happy for 5 years, than save a few bucks and hate myself for going based only on price.

IF things are close, check into insurance prices. They can definitely sway you one way or the other. Whatever you get I'm sure you'll be happy. take it easy and ride safe
Thank you. It's good to have another perspective. I agree $1000 is not enough a huge amount. The FJ without bags was already quite a bit more than I was prepared to spend. I was originally looking at a leftover V Strom 650, about $4000 less than the FJ new since it is a leftover smaller bike compared to a brand new model. I compromised with myself by deciding to buy the bags later as I liked the FJ a lot better. I even told myself I could go cheap on the bags, even though I probably won't when it comes down to actually getting them. I am getting by fine with the tiny soft bags I took off my other bike for commuting at the moment. They are a little annoying but they are good enough to get me by until I am willing to spend the money on the bags. If I jumped up to the Versys 1000 it would have been twice what I was originally budgeting, all up front. For me it was a psychological threshold I couldn't bring myself to cross. Logical or not, that's the biggest reason I personally didn't look as closely at the Versys even though, yes, it's only $1000 difference. If I had come in looking to spend enough to get the FJ with bags I would have had to take a much harder look at the Versys 1000. I still think the FJ is the right bike for me at this point. Being my second bike, and my first bike with any real power, having a lighter weight bike with ABS and TC I think was the right choice. In several years time when I go to replace the FJ, the Versys 1000 may be pretty high on the list.

root and drumbum
i found the versy overall more comfortable for me ..all of it just fell into place ,the ample seat vis a vis the fj09 (on fj09 i have to do major surgery to the seat as it keeps pulling me forward and then my knees hit the carbon fiber underneath the tank )..also the wind and noise .
the negative on the versy ,the weight is high and center of gravity ,in my opinion , is higher than on the fj09.
the quality of build and assembly is like a 7 on the fj09 and more like a 9 on the versy.
also, the magazine WHAT BIKE (or is it WHICH bike )..gives the fj09 3 good conditions, expressways, commuting and city.----tot he versy they give the same plus 2 more ....curves ,and (i forget the other one .
in summary, the fj09 is a great bike for my intentions of riding in conn. and vermont ,about 300 miles between my houses and all in country roads and tigh stuff. the versy is great if i go on my usual 5 week trips in europe or 2 weeks in the usa ...so for now , i am still thinking of taking delivery of the fj09 when i get to conn in june ...but will be trying to find a dealer in florida who will give me a ride and also be honest up front .
i am 72 , used to be 5"11 and now 5'9 and 185 lbs.

The "WHAT BIKE" review seems a bit suspect to me if they don't put the FJ-09 in a top ranking for cornering against a bigger, top heavy ADV bike. This is a naked sports bike in traveling clothes so this is a very different animal than most ADV bikes.  The difference is pretty fundamental.  It might have some similar feel for a few miles of test riding, but these are different breeds.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
I like that description - [em]naked sports bike in travelling clothes[/em]: could hardly have put it better myself! L of S

Archived