Squeak noise coming from clutch on cold engine

Hi,

My MT09 Tracer (FJ09 US) has developed annoying squeaky noise on morning startup and afternoon when I'm riding home. I've contacted dealer and they also think that it might be coming from clutch. It dissapears when engine gets warmed up.

I've recorded it with my phone to present it to my dealer but you can take a look and check if maybe you are also experiencing something similiar?

https://youtu.be/YeH3nHXa4q8

I've also found video related to same issue but on MT09/FZ09.

• Premium Member
Same on mine - the clutch makes all sorts of noises, especially when not under load when in neutral at traffic lights etc.

I've noticed this more in the last month as I have been commuting on the bike, so more likely to be stopped at junctions waiting for traffic to clear or red lights to change.

Clutch noise was discussed in an earlier thread and I am in the, "yes, it's noisy, mildly irritating but not something I will worry about."

I assume it is just the clutch plates oscillating when not under pressure. To potentially open a can of worms, maybe using a different oil will get rid of it. A different, thicker viscosity rather than going full synthetic, maybe? The offset of that is that you may reduce the lubrication of other parts on a cold start. Have you done as a poster suggested in another thread, and looked at the FZ09 forum as the technology is common and they have had longer to pontificate on the subject?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
I was a little surprised to find on the invoice after my recent 1000km first service that the dealer had used Yamalube sem-synthetic.   My understanding has always been that 'straight' engine oils, no synths, are best for the first 10,000 - 15,000km.   Any thoughts on this?
Lawrence of Suburbia [em] (‘39 model)
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

2015 Matte Grey Tracer – now at 1337 km[/em]

• Premium Member
I was a little surprised to find on the invoice after my recent 1000km first service that the dealer had used Yamalube sem-synthetic.   My understanding has always been that 'straight' engine oils, no synths, are best for the first 10,000 - 15,000km.   Any thoughts on this?
I have a hard time believing that synthetic-or-not is going to make much difference during break-in, except that it's pretty expensive to use if you're going to drain it in just a couple of weeks.  Beyond that I wouldn't give it a second thought. 
I don't actually know what kind of oil the dealer put in at my first service, although it was inexpensive enough that it was probably dino juice.  That's fine with me, the FJ motor runs cool enough that I don't think it much matters what you put in it.  The baby Triumph triple I used to have ran very hot, I wouldn't have felt comfortable putting anything but full synthetic in that one (and that's what Triumph recommended, too).  When I get around to doing my own oil changes, though, I'll use synthetic as a matter of course.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
It was going to happen wasn't it? Sorry, @tecman77, we have an oil thread :) 
I think that mineral/synth thing has been debunked as a myth if the Germans who designed my car are to be believed. My car left the VAG Seat factory in Spain with this fully synthetic Castrol Edge 5W/30 and it wasn't changed until I had done over 16,000 miles. Some cars on the variable servicing schedule decided by the car computer go for over 20,000 miles before a service, depends how you drive and the type of journey.

I really don't subscribe to the view that bike engines are made to different standards and need more frequent servicing. I think the service intervals are set to benefit the dealer service centres - just look at the differences in mileage for US bikes compared to European ones as discussed yesterday in another thread. 6000/12000 mile intervals in Europe, 4000/8000 in US.  
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Hi, 
My MT09 Tracer (FJ09 US) has developed annoying squeaky noise on morning startup and afternoon when I'm riding home. I've contacted dealer and they also think that it might be coming from clutch. It dissapears when engine gets warmed up.

I've recorded it with my phone to present it to my dealer but you can take a look and check if maybe you are also experiencing something similiar?

https://youtu.be/YeH3nHXa4q8

I've also found video related to same issue but on MT09/FZ09.

Same here, and I can actually feel it as a faint vibration. I choose to ignore it, for now.

• Premium Member
Same here, 1100km, i think it's gradually become less noisy...
OR IT'S MAKING YOU DEAF. I SAID....

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi
have you dropped it on that side? mine had been before i bought it
mine has the same noise and i have hopefully narrowed it down to the actual cover causing the problem namely i think the clutch basket is touching it when cold.
this is at the point at the 3 oclock position bolt/case screw.
i have dremelled some of the material away and i shall try it when cold.

Hi have you dropped it on that side? mine had been before i bought it
mine has the same noise and i have hopefully narrowed it down to the actual cover causing the problem namely i think the clutch basket is touching it when cold.
this is at the point at the 3 oclock position bolt/case screw.
i have dremelled some of the material away and i shall try it when cold.

I can almost guarantee that your clutch is not touching the cover. The cover would breaking before it comes close enough that it contacts the clutch. The "squeak" is normal.

yes i can see that now, and it did not make a difference,
however the noise is generated by the cover somehow. this is the poser, i get the noise at cold as per the video, i have found if i loosen the allen bolt at the 11 oclock position (the one between the two that hold the protector in place) the noise disappears, the noise also is not there with the cover removed completely. I also note that the xsr has a damper fitted inside and outside with another cover over that.

Archived