• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Lights mod challenge

priboy

The FJ looks really good! But there is only one thing that bothers me: It has two beautiful lights, but only one is low beam, so it looks like a pirate wiht the eye patch, grrr P-) ! I really, really, really hate that on bikes.

So my challenge for all the technical wizards out there is to make our one eyed pirate in to a two eyed Japanese ninja (:)) .

REWARD: Massive bragging rights and a 6-PAC of SPECIAL SLOVENIAN BEER!

Because the FJ is using LED technology, I presume that would be possible. Although the high-beam LED's are probably of higher intensity then the low-beams, they could be dialed down by reducing the electrical current /the power of the current. Any 10$ LED heand torch could do that.

So I suppose you would need to make a small electrical circuit board that would turn on also the high-beem LED's an reduce their power when the low-beam is ON, and increase the power back to 100% when you turn on the high-beam switch.

But I am not an auto electrician, so this is just my brain storming :) .[span id=transmark][/span]

• Premium Member
Just turn the high beam level adjustment clockwise until it's equal to the low beam. Done against my garage wall and took 5 minutes. Perfect! Seriously, this is a no brainer.

What did I win?
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Just turn the high beam level adjustment clockwise until it's equal to the low beam. Done against my garage wall and took 5 minutes. Perfect! Seriously, this is a no brainer. 
What did I win?
Yep! I am aware of that option. But my intent is for the bike to look a bit more symmetrical and also a bit more visible during the day, but at the same time, have a normal functioning high-beam for the night.

If I just turn the height level of a high-beam down, then the high beam does not serve his purpose any more. That mean[span id=transmark][/span]s that during the night, the illumination of the road will be worse and I would not be able to see further down the road as I would with normal setup of high beam.

So sorry clint: "Close but no cigar." ;)

• Premium Member
What did I win?
Yep! I am aware of that option. But my intent is for the bike to look a bit more symmetrical and also a bit more visible during the day, but at the same time, have a normal functioning high-beam for the night.

If I just turn the height level of a high-beam down, then the high beam does not serve his purpose any more. That mean[span id=transmark][/span]s that during the night, the illumination of the road will be worse and I would not be able to see further down the road as I would with normal setup of high beam.

So sorry clint: "Close but no cigar." ;)

It actually looks very symmetrical with the high beam level with the low beam. And if you're going to ride at night, take 30 secs to re-aim the high beam back up. So much easier than engineering an electrical solution. And if you eff up, it's going to cost ya! 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Guest rszk
Buy these and now have full power regular beams and long distance driving lights. Much cheaper than modifying the existing lights.

060231A9-E5CE-4F6E-89FD-9205F5D2F265_zpszhiimesn.jpg

CA76A359-FB8F-4407-BF71-76B2F17C779F_zps304mtd91.jpg

Well Priboy, I love a good electrical challenge.

After studying the diagram however, I can only see 2 ways to do it. First, is install a switch that replaces the "flash to pass" switch that is part of the LH switch. It could be switched on for high beam on all the time. Second way to do it is jump a wire to bypass the Hibeam and flash to Pass switches.

Doing either of these would make the Hi beam and Pass functions of the LH switch stop working. You wouldn't have any control over the headlight, period.

Issues: the ECU Controls the ground side of the circuit internally so there isn't a way to change/get at that unless you hack the ECU or do something before the ECU and after the Control module for the headlight. Also the module steps up the voltage from 12-14v to over 26 volts (if I remember correctly) when the light is on.

The high beam and low beam bulbs are the same wattage.
No telling what this kind of a hack would do to the components in the circuit. LED bulbs are supposed to have a long life, but the module? Who knows?

I'd run with the high beam switched on and lower it as suggested. Much easier and preserves the function of the LH switch.

-skip

I agree with you skip. Bypassing on the LH switch is definitely out of a question. I was hoping for a kind of "simple" plug and play solution between the ECU and the control module, but I figured that it will not be so simple  :) . [span id=transmark][/span]

• Premium Member
And if you eff up, it's going to cost ya! 
 I'[span id=transmark][/span]m not sure if I understand you correctly. Please explain. Thanks!
Simply noting the high price of these LED units if you should render one unusable.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Buy these and now have full power regular beams and long distance driving lights. Much cheaper than modifying the existing lights. 
060231A9-E5CE-4F6E-89FD-9205F5D2F265_zpszhiimesn.jpg

CA76A359-FB8F-4407-BF71-76B2F17C779F_zps304mtd91.jpg

Is that the Sw motech lights? I just check out their page. It cost $500!!!! With that customized bracket.. But it looks good

• Premium Member
You can buy from Yamaha, but it is made by SW Motech. Great light output.
I have the Yamaha lights, they are really fog lights that give a wider spread, I don't think they reacher further than the high beam. But they increase the bike's visibility a lot and at night, coming home on the country lanes near where I live the illumination is better - I can spot the foxes and badgers in the hedges. It could just be the way mine was adjusted, I haven't checked their adjustment yet. The big thing for me was visibility.

From my research both the high and low beam use 18 watt lights and have 26 Volts going to both.  I think the only difference between the high and low beam is the reflection angle built into the internal mirrors.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Please explain. Thanks!
Simply noting the high price of these LED units if you should render one unusable.
 I agree with you 100%. I would be a costly mistake.[span id=transmark][/span] 

• 7 months later...
You can buy from Yamaha, but it is made by SW Motech. Great light output.
Are those the DR1? What bracket do you need to use? I want to get the DR1s and install them the same place you did.  Do they mount on the fork tubes? 
Are you happy with them?

Archived