Scorpio Ride Core System w/ Secure Kit

I decided I want to secure my bike a little better than using disc locks on the front and rear wheels. After doing a little research I opted for the Scorpio Ride Core System with the Secure Kit add on.

The install was pretty easy, although it took me a while to figure out where to I wanted stash the unit and the components as well as where to get my 12 volt ignition on/off signal from. The FJ-0J doesn't lend a whole lot of cubby areas to stash the main module and still be able to stretch the 12 volt signal wire. Technically you're supposed to splice into one of the running lights in the rear, however the FJ doesn't have running lights for the rear signals? (unless there is something I'm missing?) and the red running lights are LED which run at a much lower voltage therefore the module wont register when the ignition is on. The wire I settled on was the power wire going into the blinker relay. Although there were some other wires I tested that turned on at 12 volts with the ignition, I was afraid these were ECM and/or dash wires and I didn't really feel like screwing that up. I also decided not to install the perimeter sensor for now as I live in a very crowed city and dont really want my alarm going off every time granny walking her dog walks by the bike.

Wires all tucked away really well on the right side with all the other wires running back to the rear. The GPS attena was a little more difficult to place as its supposed to be away from metal as much as possible and facing up towards the sky. I found a nice spot on one of the side panels about midway of the bike on the right that tucked away nicely out of sight. I just stuck the hook and loop on the top side and made sure it faced up as much as possible.

Online set up was easy enough. You get emailed an activation code and then you enter in your IMEI number located on the module. At first I was afraid the GPS signal wasn't working but it took good 10m (activation time?) or so before the online site started showing me maps and other stuff. I did a little test ride around the block and the accuracy is good enough I suppose. Right now it says my bike is parked inside my building, but I suppose in a theft situation it'll get you close enough to find the bike. In the event of a shock or tilt I get an alert on my phone and the siren will go off. In the app there's an option to get a 4 digit pin number to give to the police and they can start tracking the bike. With the phone app you're able to route out your rides and view/share them.

I think the most difficult part was getting the remote to sync up with the module. There's a finite amount of time and a series of things you have to do to get it to work; took me about 10 tries! Similar steps to adjust the sensitivity for the sock sensor. Adjusting the perimeter sensor seems to be the easiest although again I decided to not to install it for now.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the system so far. Its a little expensive to purchase if you decide to get the secure kit which only really adds the perimeter sensor and a siren. If you dont want/need those two things you can just buy the GPS core system.

• Premium Member
For those in the UK I recommend the Bike Tracker from Road Angel. Works very well although you don't really get anything off from insurance. There are people that argue that if it is stolen you don't want it back in any case. Probably true if it was stolen for a joy ride and crashed, in which case it would be recovered in any case. But if it was loaded into a van and it can be located before it crosses the channel there may just be some cosmetic damage if any at all. And getting your bike back with the equipment will be better than what the insurance will pay out. As a bonus, if I can disrupt a gang of bike thieves then that makes me happy too. As a bonus you can see and share your rides which is interesting sometimes.

One of the questions my insurance asked me is if it had a GPS tracking system; I emailed my agent to find out if I can get any discounts now that I have it installed. I really do wish the US and something like BikeTrac as they have a pretty sophisticated system! But for now this will suffice.

I guess its partly true about not wanting the bike back after its stolen, but I dont know whats worse to an insurance company; totaling the bike and paying out the price or just paying for a handful of new parts. They may not even look at it any different and just count it as a cashed out claim.

In my case a joy ride would be out of the question. First you'd have to uncover the bike, break the front and rear disc locks and do all this while the siren is going off and me getting an alert for it. The only way my bike is getting stolen is in a van and even at that the guys are going to have to listen to the 125db alarm blaring while trying to figure out where I hid it. :D

The Kryptonite system looked okay. The issue I had is they charge you by the "check in" you do on the bike. They charge the amount of check in's you want per year. So if someone borrows it or wants to see where you're at that counts as one check in. Plus it doesn't have any of the other features of alarms and other sensors that the Scorpio system does. But if all you needed was a basic system then Kryptonite might work pretty good.

Archived