D222 rear tire life?

Anyone use up a stock D222 rear tire yet? What mileage did you get?

Two weeks from this Saturday I leave for a 4,500 - 5,000 km two week ride. I have 2,700 on the originals, wondering if I can go to 7,200 - 7,700 km on a rear tire? That is about when a BT023 was completely done on my Street Triple R (no tread in middle, but still rubber.)

If that's possible with a D222 on the FJ-09, then I'll ride only my other bike until the trip. If not possible, then I'll put on another 800 - 900 this weekend. I have a new BT023 that I could install for the trip. After the trip I'll immediately go with Michelin PR3 front & back.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
7700km is under 4800 miles. As long as most of those miles are not on motorway/freeway/autobahn then I think you will be okay. Are you travelling in areas where there aren't tyre shops? It's not uncommon for UK riders to arrange a tyre change, or even a service (as @johan did) part way around a similarly large loop - either ship a tyre to a known address or just buy locally, especially if going to somewhere like Morocco where changing from touring tyres to ADV or Enduro tyres would be useful.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest dmizer
I have over 10000 km (well over 6000 miles) on my stock tire. I have completely rubbed off my chicken strip indicators, but the wear indicators in the sipes show plenty of tread left. As mechnic13 said, I'm sure I could easily go to over 13000 km (8000 miles) yet.

7700km is under 4800 miles. As long as most of those miles are not on motorway/freeway/autobahn then I think you will be okay. Are you travelling in areas where there aren't tyre shops? It's not uncommon for UK riders to arrange a tyre change, or even a service (as @johan did) part way around a similarly large loop - either ship a tyre to a known address or just buy locally.
  Like the 2,700 to date, the 5,000 km will be 95+ % two lane. Speeds will not be high. There will be bikes shops en route. But some shops are terrible with scheduling, so I prefer to avoid that.

Unfortunately not a lot of tight twisties on this trip. Some in Quebec on the first two days, some on the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, some in Northern New England on the return route. Normally my longer trips are all about twisty roads, and in the USA. But I'm overdue to finally ride in Atlantic Canada, and the Cdn $ is weak.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

2650 miles and had to replace..... I think its all about how you ride. Mine hits hard twisties every sunday.
I'm guessing you do a lot of braking and accelerating on twisty roads? That assumes you wear out the centre of the tire. A friend who lived in an area with many many twisty roads regularly wore out the sides first.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

1640 miles to clean off the rear and that's fairly typical for a performance tire on the twisties where I live in western North Carolina.  The front is still OK at 2500.
Did the tire wear out more on the sides? The centre? Evenly on both?
In the twisties are you varying speed a lot with acceleration and braking?

I've ridden many of the little roads in western NC, I love them!  8-) Double Island is one of my favorites.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Guest dmizer
1640 miles to clean off the rear and that's fairly typical for a performance tire on the twisties where I live in western North Carolina.  The front is still OK at 2500.
It's a multi-compound sports touring tire. 1640 miles is ridiculously low for this tire. I've done well over 6000 miles, and there isn't a straight road in the country. Expressways are also prohibitively expensive, so a vast majority of my riding has been canyon strafing.

Did the tire wear out more on the sides? The centre? Evenly on both? In the twisties are you varying speed a lot with acceleration and braking?

I've ridden many of the little roads in western NC, I love them!  8-) Double Island is one of my favorites.
Somewhat even with a bit more wear in the middle from acceleration and braking.  About the only people wearing out the sides 1st around here are wearing knee pucks and i'm too old and lazy for that.

5,000 and I removed the D222 to do a 2400 mile ride as I was just at the wear bars. Replaced with Roadsmart 2s, look the same as OEM's D222. They are at 5,500 and looks like a good 2,000K left but have a 3,000 mile ride next week and will replace with PR-3 rear and PR-4 front. The front D222 is up to 10,500 miles and is just nearing the wear bars. Maybe another 1500 miles on it but going to replace now.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

BTW: There is a rebate on Dunlops Roadsmart 2s going on until the end of the month. $50. With that the total cost of a set front and back will come to around $185. That is a good price and appears to be a good tire.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

5,000 and I removed the D222 to do a 2400 mile ride as I was just at the wear bars.  The front D222 is up to 10,500 miles and is just nearing the wear bars. Maybe another 1500 miles on it but going to replace now.
Thanks for all the feedback folks, I decided to leave the D222 on for the trip. If it starts to wear too much I'll pick up a tire on the way back.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.