D222 rear tire life?

5,000 and I removed the D222 to do a 2400 mile ride as I was just at the wear bars.  The front D222 is up to 10,500 miles and is just nearing the wear bars. Maybe another 1500 miles on it but going to replace now.
Thanks for all the feedback folks, I decided to leave the D222 on for the trip. If it starts to wear too much I'll pick up a tire on the way back.
Keep us posted on how well it does.  Friends have said that the Roadsmart 2 surprised them on how long they lasted when they looked almost worn out.  

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 4 weeks later...
My stock 222 tire, at the end of a 5,000 km trip:
http://i.imgur.com/mOYVAZa.jpg
That's with 7,700 km. I'll replace it this week with a new BT023 I bought last year for my Triumph. Once that BT23 rear or the front stock 222 wears out, I'll replace both with a set of Michelin PR3. The PR3 suits my riding style.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• 2 months later...
My tire looked pretty close to DeerSlayer's after 4950 miles.  I may have had a little more tread on the edges or less in the middle.  I had a slit just like what is on his tire.  I had been planning to change it soon, but went to ride to work on Tuesday and I could flat feet both feet.  Well that was because the tire was flat.  I had it changed yesterday to a Michelin Pilot Road 4.

Edit: should mention this is mostly commute and long distance miles. I'm not quite there yet for extreme leans (have scraped a peg on this bike). 

• Premium Member
I have 13000km on my rear D222 and I'm just about to the wear bar on the middle.  Probably need to change in the next 1500-2000km.  I've been very surprised with the life of the rear.  The front looks like it's damn near brand new still...
you must feather the throttle everywhere!
  • Thumbsup 1
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Do not underestimate the effect road surface type plays in tire wear.

I always kinda chuckle when hearing people who live all over the world trying to compare tire life.

Aside from all the "normal" variables, surface "grippy ness" is an important factor. Places like Hawaii and New Zealand tend to have very coarse surfaces because they use some volcanic material in the roads. Add in a 250lb rider who rails the twisties and its easy to see how a rear tire could be toast after 3,000 miles. Against a 145 lb rider who is very easy on the throttle, rides in a cool climate with very smooth roads. That rider gets 10,000 miles from the same tire. Not surprising at all. :)

• Premium Member
I always kinda chuckle when hearing people who live all over the world trying to compare tire life.

Aside from all the "normal" variables, surface "grippy ness" is an important factor. Places like Hawaii and New Zealand tend to have very coarse surfaces because they use some volcanic material in the roads. Add in a 250lb rider who rails the twisties and its easy to see how a rear tire could be toast after 3,000 miles. Against a 145 lb rider who is very easy on the throttle, rides in a cool climate with very smooth roads. That rider gets 10,000 miles from the same tire. Not surprising at all. :)
possibly mentioned that already in this thread - I ride on roads in Wales & the Cotswolds that are surfaced with granite chips rolled into wet tar. I'm pretty sure these were responsible for me deciding to change the rear at 3300 miles.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member

possibly mentioned that already in this thread - I ride on roads in Wales & the Cotswolds that are surfaced with granite chips rolled into wet tar. I'm pretty sure these were responsible for me deciding to change the rear at 3300 miles.
and some riders are even more abrasive than the granite chips...

I'm at about 4K Miles and changing out rear and front this weekend. The rear is at the wear bars but the front still has some decent wear on it as long as your not doing a lot of wet riding ( I live in Northern CA so I'm not too worried about the front). However, I'm switching tire brands and models so I'm mathing the tires. I manily ride the twisties pretty aggressively. Very little highway or city riding on them. However, I did purchase the bike used and it already had 1800 miles on it and I don't know how this rider rode.

• Premium Member
I'm at about 4K Miles and changing out rear and front this weekend. The rear is at the wear bars but the front still has some decent wear on it as long as your not doing a lot of wet riding ( I live in Northern CA so I'm not too worried about the front). However, I'm switching tire brands and models so I'm mathing the tires. I manily ride the twisties pretty aggressively. Very little highway or city riding on them. However, I did purchase the bike used and it already had 1800 miles on it and I don't know how this rider rode.
What tires are you going to, and have you ridden them before?