High quality video clip of a famous gear whining...

Hope this will clear all the "whining" talks... because it DOES whine rather annoyingly. Straight cut final/sprocket gearing is really Yamaha's negligence. I'm not saying it's end of the world, but they didn't care to invest another 25 cents to address this issue obviously.

Hope this will clear all the "whining" talks... because it DOES whine rather annoyingly. Straight cut final/sprocket gearing is really Yamaha's negligence. I'm not saying it's end of the world, but they didn't care to invest another 25 cents to address this issue obviously. 

Most motorcycles have straight cut gears. ( some beemers and Harleys don't, or have a mixture )

Cheaper to manufacture, less power loss than helical cut gears, and no axial loads = lighter bearings and trans case. As to why 3rd and 6th gears have more whine than other gears ( and other bikes i've owned, also with straight gears ), I have no idea.  Hard mounted engine, type of oil may be factors...

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
Hope this will clear all the "whining" talks... because it DOES whine rather annoyingly.
I wonder if I'm alone in loving a little gear whine.  Back when the VFR used gear-driven cams it made a wonderful noise, and I liked the transmission whine in 1st on my Daytona, and I like the FJ's transmission whine too.  It makes the bike sound space-age-y. 
Of course, I usually use earplugs so it's not a loud whine anyway.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Hope this will clear all the "whining" talks... because it DOES whine rather annoyingly.
I wonder if I'm alone in loving a little gear whine.   

nope, i like it also. it really is a nonissue. next.amazon_zpsfidrgfkm.gif
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

As to why 3rd and 6th gears have more whine than other gears (and other bikes i've owned, also with straight gears ), I have no idea.  Hard mounted engine, type of oil may be factors...
Actually, about 3rd and 6th gear whining, I think it's a myth, it whines in all gears. And it's not real "whining", it's rather kind of moaning, almost grinding sound, I didn't like the frequencies of it... It's not the regular "metric whistle" either, which I happened to like too, it's something different. I hard tested this bike two weeks ago and found out, the moment you open gas and load the gear box, it start moaning in any gear. Then the faster you go, the louder it moans, because the final drive keeps spinning faster and faster... Now, if I go for 800 miles trip, this is what I'll be hearing, the faster I go, the louder it moans... Great :( 

I suspect the gear whine comes, not from the cut of the gears, but from the positioning inside of the engine. Mine whines notably in 3rd and 6th (1-3 and 4-6 are on separate shafts, no?), but there is still traces of it in the other 4 gears.

I don't worry about it. I just grip it and rip it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I just thought that was the sound of a triple. And I love it. The FJ will be my 4th (T509 Speed Triple, Thunderbird Sport, Daytona 675). The sound my Daytona makes above 8k rpm - so awesome!
Can't wait to hear this bike wound up high (mine arrives this Saturday)
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Archived