• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Failure to start, anyone else experience or know why?

I have been waiting for a 2016 to come in and swap it for that. Well, the lemon law isn't that great, you don't get full price. I had a disagreement with the dealer about the final price on the day I was to pick it up. No need to go into specifics. Rather than go to court over the matter I accepted the deal. I now have a 2016. I'll see how this goes. This chapter is over.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ive also had this problem from day one(only had it a couple weeks, 1k miles). second attempt doesnt help most of the time, usually takes 3-4 tries. im in so cal so ambient temp doesnt vary that much(55-80). happens on full tank and near empty.it does sound like its out of gas/fueling issue IMO. havent taken it in like i planned but im glad im not alone. guess because there isnt a fix yet ill probably have to be a test dummy and let em play with it.luckily i travel for work so i wont miss it too much.
anyone else have any updates?

• 4 weeks later...
Observation:

After riding,  then parking the bike for a bit, I have a non start situation.   I tried Opening the throttle thinking that the engine was flooded (what else could I do?)  The engine roared to life and I could smell raw gas.  So, in my non start situation, the engine is flooding.  I've since open the throttle a 1/3 several times and have been rewarded with a roar to life.

Experimenting,   I have since isolated the throttle on start up to avoid the Ol' twist on start habit us old guys have learned from out carbed bike days.   The FJ Still floods.  No human error detected in this case.

Are mis adjusted  throttle cables causing the FI to dump fuel?? not sure.

Concerns:   Any leakage of fuel into the cylinders while parked will wash the oil off the piston and introduce bad wear at start up.  NOT GOOD.    I may sniff the oil after a non start to check for gas in the oil.  I'll report as I find down the road.  Gas in the oil would be a three alarm issue for us...

My instinct is that this could be a failure in the FI to detect the observed engine temp. (warm, cold or otherwise)

Craig....  Stock FJ, 700 miles

Archived