Failure to start, anyone else experience or know why?

So my FJ is 5 days old. Its my 10th bike in some 20 years, but now on two occasions it refused to start. Here is some additional info: Battery is fully charged. Bike was cold. Bike in Neutral. Thumbing the starter for 5-7 seconds produced no ignition, just turned over like no spark or no gas would cause. I am positive I give the bike no throttle when starting her. Here is the weird part, let off the starter then press the starter again right away and she fires up. This never happens for the rest of the day when the bike is warm. Anyone know what would cause this? Thanks for any advice. 
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
So my FJ is 5 days old. Its my 10th bike in some 20 years, but now on two occasions it refused to start. Here is some additional info: Battery is fully charged. Bike was cold. Bike in Neutral. Thumbing the starter for 5-7 seconds produced no ignition, just turned over like no spark or no gas would cause. I am positive I give the bike no throttle when starting her. Here is the weird part, let off the starter then press the starter again right away and she fires up. This never happens for the rest of the day when the bike is warm. Anyone know what would cause this? Thanks for any advice. 
I had this issue early on, but no more. I just cycled the kill switch on and off a few times and all was good for me. Haven't had this issue in months. I think some of the engine killing contacts were sticking when new. Just my theory, YMMV. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I like your theory. I hope thats my self-correcting issue!
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

I have and had then have again the same problem. So what I did was adjust the throttle play alittle then it went away. Now its back again. Adjusted again and its still there.
Now I push the button for a second then let off. Cycle through and push it again and starts right up.
I wish someone would figure out way this happens. Its annoying.

Maybe I need to wait a couple seconds longer after I turn the key to the on position?
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Same thing here. There is another thread that suggests removing the throttle free play. I have done this and not only does it help but I prefer the throttle response now. With that said it wasn't common in the first place and does still happen on occasion but less frequently and it has to be colder outside. I have noticed if I then key smd hear the pump prime, shet it off and repeat it seems to fire every time. That or try once, let off and try immediately again. I've never held it more them 2-3 seconds on start though.

Tomorrow I will adjust the free play just to see if that makes a difference. While I feel this bike has the jerkiest throttle on any bike I've ever owned, I don't think there is much "free play" slack to be taken out of the throttle. Shouldn't that not matter as the throttle should be completely backed off during start up anyway? I'm going to also have to address the fuel maps at some point. I'm hoping Yamaha offers us a new map download like they did for folks that bought an FZ-09.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

It seems like this is not an isolated case. Has anyone consulted the dealer or Yamaha?
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Maybe I need to wait a couple seconds longer after I turn the key to the on position?
I'm with this guy. Let it sweep the dials and prime the pump before doing anything (yes I know there are no actual dials to sweep, you get what I mean though right?).

I'm with this guy. Let it sweep the dials and prime the pump before doing anything (yes I know there are no actual dials to sweep, you get what I mean though right?).

This doesn't help, I park my bike in gear and always put the key in first to unlock the handlebars, shift to neutral, and then try to start.  I'm doing this while getting my gear on as well, and pull my cover off.  So it sits at least a couple seconds before I hit the start button.  I don't find it that annoying as it wasn't that long ago I had a carbureted bike.  Fuel injection is much better.

I dont think waiting has anything to do withit for some of us. I can wait two mins and still the same thing.

• Premium Member
I had this happen once within the first few days of ownership. While it's been my age-old practice to wait until the bike gets completely through with its boot-up, I had noticed that you don't have to do that with the FJ. So, I started lighting the bike right after the key was in "on" position. Within a few attempts I got the bike into the no-start state. Power cycling fixed it.

My opinion? It's related to priming the fuel system. I think there's a window within which it's not primed and something in the ignition system gets confused. Power cycling resets it, and by that point the fuel system is fully primed and ready to go.

Like others, I went back to my age-old practice of waiting for the dash to finish cycling and haven't had a single problem since (a month and a half now of mostly daily driving and about a week of that all-day riding).

My old Daytona wouldn't even allow you to start it until everything was fully booted and primed. Maybe Yamaha should have done that too, but I can't consider this serious enough to complain to them about it. Just wait until the dash cycles and be happy.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived