• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Failure to start, anyone else experience or know why?

• Premium Member
I dont think waiting has anything to do withit for some of us. I can wait two mins and still the same thing.

Hmm. I should reassess my theory, then. I would probably take it to the dealer and have them look for stuff that's out of adjustment.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try opening and closing the fuel tank before turning the ignition. On some old bikes this would relieve tank pressure.
Let us know if this has any effect.

Yes. Great idea!
It has also happened on some newer bikes too. The fuel pump just can't compensate for the conditions its trying to operate under. So even though the pump cycles for 4 seconds when the key is turned "on", fuel pressure is too low for the engine to start.

Any codes?

Skip.

I'm with this guy. Let it sweep the dials and prime the pump before doing anything (yes I know there are no actual dials to sweep, you get what I mean though right?).

I dont think waiting has anything to do withit for some of us. I can wait two mins and still the same thing.

Thruster - 2 minutes is too long.

Turn key on, stop switch on, fuel pump cycles for 4 seconds (put your ear to the tank if you're not sure what it sounds like. ). Press start button.

You shouldn't need to wait more than a couple seconds after the pump cycles.

If that doesn't work, then try opening the tank, shutting it and repeating the process.

If your tired of fussing with it, any tech with a fuel pressure tester can prove/disprove this theory.

There are lots of reasons a bike won't start. There is only so much help we can provide online.

Skip

Thruster - 2 minutes is too long.

Turn key on, stop switch on, fuel pump cycles for 4 seconds (put your ear to the tank if you're not sure what it sounds like. ). Press start button.

You shouldn't need to wait more than a couple seconds after the pump cycles.

If that doesn't work, then try opening the tank, shutting it and repeating the process.

If your tired of fussing with it, any tech with a fuel pressure tester can prove/disprove this theory.

There are lots of reasons a bike won't start. There is only so much help we can provide online.

Skip

Thanks for the info but I have tryed it all. The only thing that helped but was short lived was adjusting the throttle free play. Guess I will just have to live with it.

Seems cycling the dash doesn't work for everyone and this is a prevalent issue. This is my 8th fuel injected bike (5th Yamaha) and the only one to do this.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Thanks for the info but I have tryed it all. The only thing that helped but was short lived was adjusting the throttle free play. Guess I will just have to live with it.

Not necessarily. But it will take someone with competent diagnostic skills to figure this out. Good luck and keep us posted.
Don't give up! 8-)

Skip

If you have played with the throttle cable slack, there is one possibility that I can think of.  When you let go of the throttle, do you hear it snap shut?  If you moved the cable too far, it could prevent the throttle from reaching all the way to closed.  This might screw up the computer if it doesn't see the closed throttle signal coming in.  Try loosening the cable adjuster that pulls the throttle open and see if that helps.  You can always tighten up the other adjuster on the closing cable if you want less slack.  For reference, my bike has started every time.  It fires so quickly that I can't let go of the button fast enough.

The throttle cable slack or the vapor lock may make sense, however the bike will fire right up on the second try without opening the fuel cap or touching the throttle. Whatever it is rectifies itself after the first non turn over.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Bobain't - you'll never hear the throttle "snap closed" because the plates are moved by a motor which is controlled by the ecu.

When the engine is not running, moving the throttle grip all the way WOT will only open the throttle plates a 1/4" or so.

-skip

Again today, after letting the ecu fully cycle, the bike did not want to start. It was strange this time as is chugged twice like it was going to start, then didn't, on the third chug it turned over but the rpms fluctuated back and forth between 1000-2000 several times, finally idling normally after several seconds. This is not a normal startup.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

• Premium Member
Again today, after letting the ecu fully cycle, the bike did not want to start. It was strange this time as is chugged twice like it was going to start, then didn't, on the third chug it turned over but the rpms fluctuated back and forth between 1000-2000 several times, finally idling normally after several seconds. This is not a normal startup.
I sure sounds to me like a dead short issue, like the kill switch is not fully un-engaging. Cycle the kill switch, the key switch, and move the sidestand up and down multiple times and see if it continues. I am hoping there is some grease of something sticking due to the newness. I also start the bike immediately after the fuel pump stops. If I wait to long, I have had issues.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Tomorrow I will adjust the free play just to see if that makes a difference. While I feel this bike has the jerkiest throttle on any bike I've ever owned, I don't think there is much "free play" slack to be taken out of the throttle. Shouldn't that not matter as the throttle should be completely backed off during start up anyway? I'm going to also have to address the fuel maps at some point. I'm hoping Yamaha offers us a new map download like they did for folks that bought an FZ-09.
You need to try an 07 FJR. This bike is way less jerky then many bikes I have owned. I think your frustration with the inability to start issue is maybe clouding your thoughts? Are you near LA? You can try mine and see if it is the same. I love mine. 

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Thanks for the offer, but I live in arctic Massachusetts.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

• Premium Member
Thanks for the offer, but I live in arctic Massachusetts.
Sorry about that. I guess you are not jeepin Out West anymore. wings_zpsszsdvz9g.gif 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived