Engine temperature

ilanr1

Hi , i have noticed that my motor is running a little warm , in the city 85-95 degrees celcius and we are in the winter now...

I checked the water level on the radiator and a little water was missing there and also on the water tank.

Please share your engine temp in the city and in the highway during summer and winter.

What else do i need to check in order to feel good with that issue ?.

Thanks

• Supporting Member

On hot days in the Summer my coolant temperature reading is almost always 100-110F above ambient temperature reading under normal riding conditions.  Sitting in traffic or slower city riding it can get higher.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

If my engine temperature is higher what should i check ?.

As i mentioned , the water level are right now in the radiator and in the water tank on the side of the bike.

No missing of water.

So should it be a termostat ? Or a blocked radiator ?.

Thanks

Edited by ilanr1

• Supporting Member

Is the bike overheating or just running at a higher temperature than you are used to?  Is this something that just started happening or has it been going on for awhile? 

To be honest, if its not overheating or getting a HI temp error on the screen, I wouldn't lose sleep over it until something actually goes wrong.

Here is a recent thread that may offer some help. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, ilanr1 said:

Hi , it looks like the bike is overheating...

Before you start losing sleep or throwing time and money at this, what are the symptoms of "overheating" that you are experiencing?  Is there a CEL light or "HI" temperature warning on the screen?  Is it steaming or puking boiling coolant out of the overflow tube onto the ground?   If its just reading warmer than normal, it might be nothing serious.

• Thumbsup 2

What i found is that the water tank is a lot below the low level and little water is missing in  the radiator.

What was strange to me is that during a cruising speed on the HWY i have noticed that the temp is like 105-106 celciuse and that is very hot !!!.

I usually have a reading in situation like that with a temp like 75 degrees steady reading.

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, ilanr1 said:

What i found is that the water tank is a lot below the low level and little water is missing in  the radiator.

What was strange to me is that during a cruising speed on the HWY i have noticed that the temp is like 105-106 celciuse and that is very hot !!!.

I usually have a reading in situation like that with a temp like 75 degrees steady reading.

That does sound too warm for highway cruising.  My experience is that under those circumstances I can expect somewhere between 75 - 85C in a ~30C ambient temperature environment as you've described.

So, I'm assuming you've refilled the water/coolant in the radiator and reservoir bottle back to normal levels?  Is the temperature still high then or are you losing water/coolant back to what you described earlier? i.e. some missing from the radiator and a low level in the reservoir?

The thread that @betoney pointed to above has some really helpful diagnostics in there for you to try.  Have you had a chance to check it out yet?

• Thumbsup 1

Hi , i did fill the reservoir bottle to the max level - as it was bellow the minimum level and i added water to the radiator untill the max.

No air pockets as i can recognize ... I did some slow ride in the city.

When it reach 106C as usual in low city speed i pull over and noticed that a water from the  reservoir bottle are going out through the black excess tube .

Yes i understand that 106C are above the boiling point of the water and in the reservoir buttle there is no room for the extra water so , in the end i'm still missing water.

* i have replaced the radiator cup but it looks like nothing has changed...

* No water in the oil.

The oil looks ok to me in color .

It seems that the ventilator is working hard to reduce the heat , but the heat rise up very quickly after a cooling cycle from the vent.

Again we are on winter time now..  i don't want to think what will be in the summer...

Any other ideas ?.

Thanks

Edited by ilanr1

Check that your thermostat is opening properly. 
And never use water on most modern bikes. They need 50/50 coolant only as it will boil out easily with just water or a weak mix. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

If you've changed your radiator cap then it does sound like it might be a good idea to check/replace your thermostat as it may not be opening when it should and you're getting those high temps and consequently losing coolant - as OZVFR has suggested.

• Thumbsup 2