New clutch cable gets squeezed

spirymi

Not a native speaker, sorry for weird wording if any 

So I just replaced clutch cable on my 2015 FJ-09 Tracer. I'm sure I routed it exactly same way the original was routed because even though I removed the gas tank and all plastic, I still taped the end of new one to the old one and replaced this way. 

Now I realized that when I turn the handlebar to the very left position, there is something that doesn't let it move till the end. With further investigation I realized that the cable gets pinched in the place in the pictures, and there is even visible damage on the cable already. What could go wrong? Just different length and shape of the cable? What do I do? If I slightly move the cable (like pull it from above, it gets fixed for some time, i.e. I can move handlebar freely, but then later it happens again 

Compress_20240227_224031_1306.jpg

Compress_20240227_224030_0604.jpg

Compress_20240227_224029_9978.jpg

Edited by spirymi
Corrected wording
  • Sad 1

• Supporting Member

This is the route that my cable takes on my 2015 model in photos.  Maybe that will help for comparison?

It appears that you may have come around the front of the ignition assembly rather than behind it if that makes sense.

HTH.

Looking from underneath up: -

image.png.438c21b50f5b4834fc1e81f729fdcca4.png

Note that the cable passes through a little guide that is also part of one of the radiator top clamps: -

image.thumb.png.2bf8d23f3aa8293c049e5d6b0f9d996a.png

image.png.0b9ddb7f94fbe8d03d09c70925a502fc.png

image.thumb.png.b114208a33df4e4227ffb80a8c049683.png

image.thumb.png.6111216bde28e4219673b1090db2c6f7.png

• Thanks 1

A picture(s) worth a thousand words. Good on ya, Daz. 

@spirymi my guess is that it’s not routed properly through the clamp that attaches to the LH upper bolt of the radiator. The other thing that can happen is when you tighten that bolt, the clamp can rotate upwards and pinch the cable. 
Check those areas first. 

The other thing is that Yamaha changed is the cable and routing a bit after the original 2015-16 models. Newer clutch routing involves a clamp in the area below the ignition switch (IIRC) which will help prevent it running on the wiring case on the LH side of the switch. You may want to consider protecting your wiring, and/or installing a loose zip tie to control where the cable hits when turning the bars lock to lock. 

I wouldn’t mess with a zip tie until you get your first issue figured out though. 
HTH,

Skip

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

10 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Note that the cable passes through a little guide that is also part of one of the radiator top clamps: -

image.thumb.png.2bf8d23f3aa8293c049e5d6b0f9d996a.png

IMG_3214.thumb.jpg.b894d53a4bc0961b9b9224d16ba3d85b.jpg

The routing on mine is different as well, it does not go down near the steering lock, instead mine is routed through a hole in the frame on the left side -red arrow.   @dazzler24 I believe mine is routed above where yours is with the other cables in the photo, NOT connected to the clamp on the radiator.

IMG_3214.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Guys, I will be very honest! My first reaction was - like hey, I told they the routing is correct because I connected the new cable to the old one when replacing. But ok, I removed all plastic again and - you were right, the cable didn't go through the clamp attached to the bolt of radiator. Thank you all!!!!!!! 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 3

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, betoney said:

The routing on mine is different as well, it does not go down near the steering lock, instead mine is routed through a hole in the frame on the left side -red arrow.   @dazzler24 I believe mine is routed above where yours is with the other cables in the photo, NOT connected to the clamp on the radiator.

IMG_3214.jpg

You'd got me worried that I'd stuffed up Brian so I went hunting for the cable routing in the service manual.  I must admit that when I was taking my photos I wondered why the cable didn't follow the others through that access hole and there was that pang of uncertainty. 🤔

Your routing method would shorten your path and may in fact be advantageous considering that you have the risers and the swept handlebars - just like I have!  I might have to re-think my path at the next major service.

I'm sure both cable routing methods work - and clearly they do.  But it does appear that Yamaha have the cable routed via that clamp at the top of the radiator as per the attached in a standard OEM configuration.

At the end of the day, I guess that as long as the cable doesn't get pinched, obstruct movement, affect the clutch operation or impinge on anything important, then it doesn't really matter where it is run.

image.thumb.png.89f937aa19e74334f3d3edbfb00ad3b0.png

image.thumb.png.1e04186ae674ea164b0e8ff7120a0c8d.png

image.png.d4ba76393c0831bec203632aca976ea8.png

image.png.5edcb125b43ce802176826ba0564105e.png

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

I'm sure both cable routing methods work - and clearly they do.  But it does appear that Yamaha have the cable routed via that clamp at the top of the radiator as per the attached in a standard OEM configuration.

At the end of the day, I guess that as long as the cable doesn't get pinched, obstruct movement, affect the clutch operation or impinge on anything important, then it doesn't really matter where it is run.

image.thumb.png.1e04186ae674ea164b0e8ff7120a0c8d.png

Agreed, as long as no moving parts contact the cable, then the routing should be adequate. 

I have added several electrical items, cruise control, removed and replaced the entire brake line system and dont like wires or cables everywhere in different locations, I try to route everything in a bundle and wrap or zip tie everything together.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***