1990 Harley Davidson FXRS Sport Convertible

• Supporting Member

Not sure how many V-twin fans we got in here, but the FXR line from Harley is my personal favorite bike of all time and most people seem to enjoy a dose of retro/vintage so I'll share my recent pickup.

Quick history lesson if for those interested in why FXR models are special: History of the Harley Davidson FXR

image.thumb.jpeg.58890ae788975b5b280b4a0ac5317cfb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8d0092eec70dcf9511146870043a0e16.jpeg

Unfortunately, this didn't come with the factory quick-detach windscreen and saddle bags so it's *only* an FXRS Sport. Also, don't understand what happened with the seating situation - stock seat, aftermarket pillion, aftermarket sissy bar, stock pillion pad?? - but all the other good stuff is here: dual discs up front, air ride front suspension (handlebars are the air reservoir! Thanks Erik Buell), 13" rear suspension, and of course the handmade stiffened frame with 45 degrees of lean.

Zero leaks, electronics work as they should, runs well all things considered. Original owner chopped off the cross pipe on the OE headers (why?) and welded the holes, I have an OEM system ordered to remedy that. Will probably take it to a local shop to have a performance cam dropped in, you can get these engines to 75-80hp without sacrificing any reliability.

I used to have a 1985 FXRS that I restored and sold, it was a huge PITA to source parts. But since then apparently the FXR scene has exploded, especially on the West Coast. There are many business now that make replica parts, replacement parts, or even just have an online shop dedicated to finding scrapped FXRs and stripping them to sell the parts. The frames alone are sought after as you can make a nice hotrod from scratch.

The popularity resurgence is enough that Erik Buell is making a modern version based on the same frame: https://www.buellmotorcycle.com/super-cruiser

I have a lot of parts and accessories on order, I'll post final pics when I have it in what I consider a finished state.

Thanks for reading 😎

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

I like and have much respect for HD, that particular model isn't my cup of tea, but can see the merit and reasons as to why you like it. My buddy is sure loving his new Pan America "Dirt glide" as he calls it, definitely quite a machine and very well designed and reputable.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I like and have much respect for HD, that particular model isn't my cup of tea, but can see the merit and reasons as to why you like it. My buddy is sure loving his new Pan America "Dirt glide" as he calls it, definitely quite a machine and very well designed and reputable.

Motorcycling is a top-tier hobby because there's a bike for everyone; and in some cases many bikes for one😁

I hope "Dirt glide" sticks, it's a great nickname, and one seemingly given out of affection.

It's a shame Harley stopped making the FXR, they clearly knew how important the model was, as it was brought back in 1999 to launch their CVO program. Also, I don't understand cutting the highly anticipated Bronx we were supposed to have by now. I don't see the long-term vision of their latest leadership, but I am watching with great interest.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

I have a 00 Sportster XL1200S 

Check one out.

Mag wheels dual dics up front a with single rear, fully adjustable front forks, a rebound, compression and ppreload.same with piggyback rear shocks.

Dual plug heads with HT twin fire hot coils.

Hotter cams and closer ratio trany.

Only stock fauxpau is the tiny peanut gas tank and hevy clutch pull, both however the can be relatively easily and inexpensively rectified.

Not a long haul steed but on shorter hops with appropriate pitstops it's a bit of a hoot and makes soothing patato-patato sounds along the way 

• Thumbsup 1