Hello

• Premium Member
I have been lurking for a while and thought it was time to register and introduce myself.

I am 61 and still riding a sv650s.  Needless to say I am looking for a more comfortable bike like the fj09.

I do not yet have a FJ09 because I am waiting on cruise control to become available either from Yamaha or aftermarket.

• Premium Member
A Go Cruise or similar does the job - go shopping now :)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I have been lurking for a while and thought it was time to register and introduce myself. 
I am 61 and still riding a sv650s.  Needless to say I am looking for a more comfortable bike like the fj09.

I do not yet have a FJ09 because I am waiting on cruise control to become available either from Yamaha or aftermarket.

Welcome!  I went SV650S -> 675 Street Triple R -> FJ-09. 
I couldn't understand why so many riders made a fuss about the lack of cruise control on the FJ-09. Then I did an 880 km day on day 11 of a trip ...... Oh, that's why cruise control would be usefull!  ::) I wouldn't use it often or for very long, but it would be nice to have it.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
I couldn't understand why so many riders made a fuss about the lack of cruise control on the FJ-09. Then I did an 880 km day on day 11 of a trip ...... Oh, that's why cruise control would be usefull!  ::) I wouldn't use it often or for very long, but it would be nice to have it.
How does the FJ09's handling and engine compare to the sv650s?

If I do trade my sv650s I will miss the handling, sound and torque of the engine.

If I do trade my sv650s I will miss the handling, sound and torque of the engine.
Not much comparison. I actually owned my SV650s for about 6 weeks , it was pretty gutless compared to liter bikes. It was fun to run around with the throttle wide open for about a month though. Mine had Sonic springs and a Hayabusa rear shock, Suzuki comfort seat and Yoshi exhaust. You won't miss the handling, this handles just as well and is more comfortable to me. You might miss the sound, as far as torque goes, you'll have more. There is no comparison on the power, it makes the SV seem downright anemic with 30 less whp and 15 lb/ft less torque.  

100_0396.jpg

Not much comparison. I actually owned my SV650s for about 6 weeks , it was pretty gutless compared to liter bikes. It was fun to run around with the throttle wide open for about a month though. Mine had Sonic springs and a Hayabusa rear shock, Suzuki comfort seat and Yoshi exhaust. You won't miss the handling, this handles just as well and is more comfortable to me. You might miss the sound, as far as torque goes, you'll have more. There is no comparison on the power, it makes the SV seem downright anemic with 30 less whp and 15 lb/ft less torque.
I agree with *all* of that, and I did 67K km on my SV650S! Mine had a fully adjustable Ohlins shock, and Racetech emulators and springs up front.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
Wessie, I will try a go cruise.  I have been using one of these: http://www.kapscomoto.com/product_p/cc001.htm 

Go Cruise is the nearest product on Ebay to what I use, at 3 times the price I paid - seems the Australian vendor has either stopped making them or waiting for another batch to be made. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Last few bikes I have owned....2005 SV650S, 2005 V-Strom 650, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple, 2007 Honda 919, 2015 FJ-09

The FJ09 handles MUCH better than a stock SV650S. The longer travel suspension and upright seating position make it more fun and effortless to toss side to side. The FJ09 needs suspension work (like just about every other bike) to make it perfect, but in my opinion it needs less than an SV650S.

The FJ09's triple is the best of all worlds. Pulls like a V-Twin down low, and screams like an i4 up high. It doesn't have the meaty thump of a piped SV650, but you won't miss it when you pull the front wheel up in the first couple of gears rolling on the throttle in "A" (awesome mode)". The FJ has everything I liked about the Speed Triple with none of the things I didn't like (pillion comfort, luggage options, wind protection).

Archived