Top case question

For those who have a large top case (48-50L) how much can you fit in it? Is it possible to have a full face helmet, gloves and a folded up textile jacket (armored) and riding pants in it?

They look dorky but the convenience would be so nice. I like the looks of the 50L Yamaha case and the Shad Sh48 even with the supply issues here in the US.

• Premium Member
It all depends on the bulk of the armour, especially the back protector

I use an E45 Give box which is an odd shape. I can get my helmet and Hein Gericke all season jacket in there but not the all season trousers. The extra 5 litres may help.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

On my Yamaha 50L top case, I can fit either my helmet and jacket, gloves, or two helmets. Pants(i.e. jeans rolled) yes, but not armored pants.

Hmm okay. My jacket has a large back protector but it's no larger then the base of a helmet. I'm using unarmored Klim pants at the moment with Knox knee pads over my jeans. If I upgrade to a two piece Roadcrafter I may have to take the knee armor out and use the Knox stuff still to get it smaller.

For those who have a large top case (48-50L) how much can you fit in it? Is it possible to have a full face helmet, gloves and a folded up textile jacket (armored) and riding pants in it?  
They look dorky but the convenience would be so nice. I like the looks of the 50L Yamaha case and the Shad Sh48 even with the supply issues here in the US.
Even with our biggest 55L case, I think it may be a tight fit, though probably do-able.  

• 1 month later...
Here is the Euro, 50L top case. It's pretty nice. The factory lock cylinder took some 'finagelling' to make it work, but it will. Will hold 2, full-face helmets and gloves, but not much else. Only a light jacket will fit and even then, it's a squeeze.

The style of the case matches the bike well. I have since added the backrest to the case, for my wife.

E9C5CAA5-FBE7-40F4-A352-124FDA81DAA0_zpsbyczflu4.jpg

• Premium Member
I use a Givi V46 top case. I can fit an XL modular helmet, gloves, armoured jacket. I stuff the gloves and sleeves inside the helmet to get some more room. I also use Givi V35 side cases, the helmet will just fit.
Paladin, I have a V46 top case and the Yamaha ABS side cases, which I want to replace with Givi V35s Do you have a photo of the mounting of the carrier for the side cases? I would like to keep the standard fittings that have useful hooks for bungee cords etc, is this possible? I can get an adapter kit for the Yamaha (SW Motech) side carriers to accept the V35 but would prefer the Givi set. 
The set-up would be the ideal combination; for the city I can use the top box and for touring the side cases with tank bag, tail bag and Kriega backpack.

• Premium Member
I am using the Yamaha top rack. I had to remove the plastic side pieces to make it work. I am using the Givi plxr 2122 side brackets. I had to import from Italy, but Revzilla has them in stock now, $247. The neat thing with these is that when removed only small spools remain. They come with a small key to remove them. They are about 2" wider than bar ends,but same width as mirrors with 2" extentions. I will try to post photos but have to switch to computer from phone.

Archived