Got my RED FJ-09 today.

ULEWZ

• Premium Member
Got my RED FJ-09 today in the rain. I will take pictures tomorrow, but you know what they look like. Come on sale of the FJR1300 to keep me out of trouble with the wife.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Got my RED FJ-09 today in the rain. I will take pictures tomorrow, but you know what they look like. Come on sale of the FJR1300 to keep me out of trouble with the wife.
I only knew what the red ones look like from pictures, and put my deposit down having only seen a grey one person. Had a look at *my* red one at the dealer yesterday; the candy red is really nice! Just waiting on my insurance and a clear day to bring it home. Won't be able to ride here salt-free until end of March or mid April.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
More than a little jealous here...congrats on the purchase! Most of the dealers around here have grey, I'm liking the red a little better but they're hard to find in red for some reason.

Guest eatpasta
hey, where is Socal are you?

Im very curious to hear how your test ride goes. I ride in from SB to LA on monday and back on friday. Today was pretty wet and scary at times (ice) so waiting a few days might be good for your shiney new ride!

If we're somewhat close I'd love to come take a look....

Folks, this is my first post on your website and sm sorry if I've put this in the wrong place. I currently ride a Honda NT700 for the last four years and have about 36k on the odometer. It has served me well. I like the shaft drive a lot and am reluctant to get a bike with a chain. The FJ09 is 100 pounds lighter, which is considerable, and literally twice t"he horsepower. For those of you that have this bike, can you give me an honest appraisal of the strengths and weaknesses of this bike compared to the NT700. I'm 68 years old and ride fairly well. When I read the reviews or watch the videos, almost always is a line from the reviewer that "this is a great bike and will probably get me into trouble." Have you found that to be true. Thanks in advance. I'm going this afternoon for the second time to look at this bike. Also, on the NT forum we have what we call "SAD" for 'stopped and dropped.' I've done this more times than I'd like to admit, but the NT has 'wings' on the side of the frame that takes the brunt of the fall. I didn't see anything like the wings on the FJ09, what do you all do to protect your bike when it falls over. Thanks.

Terry

• Premium Member
Folks, this is my first post on your website and sm sorry if I've put this in the wrong place. I currently ride a Honda NT700 for the last four years and have about 36k on the odometer. It has served me well. I like the shaft drive a lot and am reluctant to get a bike with a chain. The FJ09 is 100 pounds lighter, which is considerable, and literally twice t"he horsepower. For those of you that have this bike, can you give me an honest appraisal of the strengths and weaknesses of this bike compared to the NT700. I'm 68 years old and ride fairly well. When I read the reviews or watch the videos, almost always is a line from the reviewer that "this is a great bike and will probably get me into trouble." Have you found that to be true. Thanks in advance. I'm going this afternoon for the second time to look at this bike. Also, on the NT forum we have what we call "SAD" for 'stopped and dropped.' I've done this more times than I'd like to admit, but the NT has 'wings' on the side of the frame that takes the brunt of the fall. I didn't see anything like the wings on the FJ09, what do you all do to protect your bike when it falls over. Thanks. 
Terry
You will very much appreciate the lightness of the FJ. It has hand guards that will take up most of the brunt of a tip over. You can use B mode if you feel that the power is too much for you. It really smooths things out, and reduces power about 20%. It handles very well and has power on tap if you need it, that is why they state it will get them into trouble. The bike is very comfortable for being so light, so I think you will be impressed.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I wrote up my impressions, having come from a Ninja 650, which is very much in line with the power and handling of an NT700.

http://fj-09.org/thread/219/review-fj-09

As for "stop and drop", you need to do two things:

1. Front wheel needs to be centered at a stop.. always. Not doing do is a quick and easy way to drop a bike.
2. Get used to always putting down your left foot first, even if you can flat foot a bike. The FJ-09 is taller, so trying to get both feet down simultaneously is a challenge. Even if you are tall enough to get both feet down at a stop, get the left down first firmly, while holding on to the foot brake, and only then do you put your right down as well, and not even all the time.

I am putting red FJR bags on mine, and I am going to try real hard to just not drop it. Who wants to mar those pretty painted hard cases?

I didn't see anything like the wings on the FJ09, what do you all do to protect your bike when it falls over. Thanks. 
Terry
I'm sure there will be, if not already, "sliders" available to mount onto the bike to give added protection in case of the bike going on it's side.

If anyone has the hard bags (FJ or FJR-style) on the bike, they will be sacrificed if the bike is dropped or laid down.
Make sure you have proper insurance coverage to include accessories.

I am sure that I will want to set up the FJ more as a touring bike. Do any of you have the soft sided paniers? I know that I'll drop this bike sometime and I'd hate to crack the hard sided paniers. Any thoughts about a top case? This has been a wonderful part of my NT700. Have any of you had issues with the chain tensioner? Are there aftermarket windshields or are you happy with the Yamaha taller windshield option? Any options you think are 'must haves?' Any options that are not worth it from your point of view? Can I install a 'Throttlemeister" on the FJ or is there a better option for a crusie control? Again, thanks in advance.

Terry

Archived