Solo rack ideas...

Hurricane road, it's one of my favorites!

Still has sand from last winter's 'maintenace'? I rode it late May and the sand-on-pavement surface area was bigger than the bare pavement area! Was hoping it was clear now, as I'm planning to ride it the last weekend in September.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hurricane road, it's one of my favorites! 
Still has sand from last winter's 'maintenace'? I rode it late May and the sand-on-pavement surface area was bigger than the bare pavement area! Was hoping it was clear now, as I'm planning to ride it the last weekend in September.
Hard to tell if the sand is from last winter... Or sand that was carried by trucks that can't stay on the road. 
I slid on the 3rd corner, so took it easy for the rest.
But the rest was probably 95% free of sand.
The problem is that the sand has the same color than pavement !

Just don't expect to scrape your elbows on it. :)

Keep in mind that those hand-guards, (which are painted, IIRC) cost about $125 each, and will get gauged by the friction from the rack.

Not sure if you care about resale.  Maybe cover them in old inter-tubes?

Haha! 125$ ouch !!!!

I also tought about this...
Good thing that ...
Before putting the rack on the motorcycle, I added one layer of slip proof fabric.

After 1700 km, you could see that the fabric took a beating, but absolutely nothing shows on the grab bars...
No wear at all.

I will have to replace the fabric on each trip... Or find a thicker and more durable material...

Maybe rubber?

First thing I did was remove the rear "trident" grab bars that assault your shins/ankles every time you throw a leg over this bike.

I used the stock bolts, two large stainless fender washers, and bolted the plastic rear part in place with the stock bolt from there, and used the stock bolts and spacers in the front part to secure the plastic there too. It's missing the trident now, but I have yet to wound myself again on the bike.

As for your rack, you could use those two rear bolts, and the fender washers to secure your rack. If you used some bar stock, it would be better/lighter perhaps, and you could use the front bolts to attach the rack, but it would not be a sold piece of metal across, but just two legs on the front part. This should result in a secure rack, bolted to the rear subframe using stock mounting points, and might look better too. (Have you thought about using metal stock? Some conduit and aluminum bar stock will be much stronger, water proof, and hold more weight in the long run. But the wood is pretty rustic looking, and you can keep warm for a few moments in a chance winter storm.. LOL)

First thing I did was remove the rear "trident" grab bars that assault your shins/ankles every time you throw a leg over this bike. 
I used the stock bolts, two large stainless fender washers, and bolted the plastic rear part in place with the stock bolt from there, and used the stock bolts and spacers in the front part to secure the plastic there too. It's missing the trident now, but I have yet to wound myself again on the bike.

As for your rack, you could use those two rear bolts, and the fender washers to secure your rack. If you used some bar stock, it would be better/lighter perhaps, and you could use the front bolts to attach the rack, but it would not be a sold piece of metal across, but just two legs on the front part. This should result in a secure rack, bolted to the rear subframe using stock mounting points, and might look better too. (Have you thought about using metal stock? Some conduit and aluminum bar stock will be much stronger, water proof, and hold more weight in the long run. But the wood is pretty rustic looking, and you can keep warm for a few moments in a chance winter storm.. LOL)

Mmmm... I did not found a cheap source for metal square tubing, so if I buy all the metal required at home Depot, it would end up to more than 100$.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Hardware/Builders/Metal-Stock/Square-Tubes/1-x-48-Plain-Steel-Square-Tubing/_/N-ntjrf/R-I2192614

So in the end, I went with wood because I had plenty of free scrap lying around...

I definitely agree, that would be a cool winter project, an aluminium removable solo rack.

Smells like Solo Rack V3 !

PS LOL Really, you injured your ankles on grab bars?
Maybe you need better boots or start stretching a bit more !!! :)  :)

• Premium Member
Fredogauvino - I made luggage racks from 1" aluminum square tubing with a single rod connecting them so the would not sway and it ran me less than $30. It is ultra light and super rigid.
The local metal outlet here even had square plastic inserts to cap the tubing. My skill level pails in comparison to yours, so I am certain you could make something very impressive. Held to the bike at the four points the stock mounts use, so on and off in about 1 minute.

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/daleh627/media/Luggage%20racks%20-%20finished_zpsqjpzwlqq.jpg.html?o=4

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Most of the year, I ride with shorts, boots, Vanson hot weather riding "shirt", gloves and helmet.

I'd wear pants, but I figure they provide about as much protection as my long cargo shorts, and let's face it, jeans last about .0001 inch on pavement at speed, so you are going to get scraped up on the knees if you go down wearing anything short of leathers. (Thus why I wear the jacket, it's got the leather and pads where you need them, I suppose a pair of pants made that way would be nice in the summer, but it's a point of risk I'm willing to take when I ride. (Some folks don't wear helmets or gloves etc. Nothing is required in Idaho, so it's up to the owner to choose safety, or what level of safety they are willing to ride under.)

I don't ride with passengers ever.
I don't like being caught up by the trident grab bar, and coming off a 2014 FZ09, liked the smooth one part seat, easy to throw your leg over this bike like a supermoto.

That's now possible again without the silly grab bars, and as I noted, a simple fender washer solves the rear trim securely, while the stock inserts on the bars with the stock bolts work fine there too. (And if you really wanted, you could secure nylon or other attachment points for side/soft bags that would keep the bike nice and clean looking.)

Those alloy side supports are exactly along the lines of what I was thinking, only sideways for your idea, and extended back past the rear seat. (Like the stock racks provide on the FZ09, or what all the other folks building rear box mounts provide.)

When I was younger, a milk crate bolted to the back of my XR500 was all I needed. Worked great for all the stuff you could stuff in there and while not secure, it was rare I left anything of value in it while the bike was parked.

• Premium Member
Most of the year, I ride with shorts, boots, Vanson hot weather riding "shirt", gloves and helmet.  
I'd wear pants, but I figure they provide about as much protection as my long cargo shorts, and let's face it, jeans last about .0001 inch on pavement at speed, so you are going to get scraped up on the knees if you go down wearing anything short of leathers. (Thus why I wear the jacket, it's got the leather and pads where you need them, I suppose a pair of pants made that way would be nice in the summer, but it's a point of risk I'm willing to take when I ride. (Some folks don't wear helmets or gloves etc. Nothing is required in Idaho, so it's up to the owner to choose safety, or what level of safety they are willing to ride under.)

I agree about jeans/pants not lasting long if you do hit the pavement, but they do a better job of protecting against sand and gravel that might get thrown, or bugs that fly at you while riding than bare legs.  Nothing like a bee flying up your shorts to "distract" you from your normal riding routine.

I'd wear pants, but I figure they provide about as much protection as my long cargo shorts, and let's face it, jeans last about .0001 inch on pavement at speed, so you are going to get scraped up on the knees if you go down wearing anything short of leathers. (Thus why I wear the jacket, it's got the leather and pads where you need them, I suppose a pair of pants made that way would be nice in the summer, but it's a point of risk I'm willing to take when I ride. (Some folks don't wear helmets or gloves etc. Nothing is required in Idaho, so it's up to the 

just a piece of personal experience. Your Mileage May Vary..
  I went down on a hot summer day coming home from work loading trucks. Leather gloves, denim riding jacket, boots, and shorts. I had jeans with me for the morning, but elected not to wear them in the 100deg temp. 
  Coming off the interstate, I low-sided turning left through the intersection when I hit a puddle of oil at about 25mph. Both layers of leather on the left glove were gone, but not a scratch on my hand. Denim jacket wasn't even scuffed somehow! Now... The road rash on my left hip. I'd say about a square foot of misery! My knee would still probably been scraped up, but I'm convinced the jeans would have saved me a lot of sleepless nights!  
  That was 20yrs ago. 10yrs ago I had another low-side on a corner covered in sand. Again, about 25mph, but nylon/cordura riding pants and jacket took the hit and not my skin ;-)
  I occasionally see shorts and flip flop wearing riders around here... And cringe. Odds are low, but....

Archived