Thread and owner noob

griskins

Dave in Snoqualmie, WA (where?) here. Glad to be a new member, with a new FJ 09. Just up to 500 miles, still waiting for the Givi side cases, tank bag and crash bars to arrive. Postponing decision on top rack until those are installed, but need one to hang my Corbin soft bag on. It looks to me like all the racks available have a lip toward the front of the bike, and that's a bit problematic, so might have to fabricate one myself.

And speaking of myself, 59 years old, 11% owner and GM of Snoqualmie Falls Brewing, previously 26 years in social services, also own 2000 Triumph Sprint ST (wanna buy it?), Honda Rebel for the spousal unit to learn on after she learns on the 2002 Yamaha Vino scooter. Began riding in '75 on a '71 Triumph Tiger, and owned it until I bought the Sprint.

Other hobbies: gardening, cooking, woodworking, paying for rotten 24 year old son to go to college.

• Premium Member
Dave in Snoqualmie, WA (where?) here. Glad to be a new member, with a new FJ 09. Just up to 500 miles, still waiting for the Givi side cases, tank bag and crash bars to arrive. Postponing decision on top rack until those are installed, but need one to hang my Corbin soft bag on. It looks to me like all the racks available have a lip toward the front of the bike, and that's a bit problematic, so might have to fabricate one myself. 
And speaking of myself, 59 years old, 11% owner and GM of Snoqualmie Falls Brewing, previously 26 years in social services, also own 2000 Triumph Sprint ST (wanna buy it?), Honda Rebel for the spousal unit to learn on after she learns on the 2002 Yamaha Vino scooter. Began riding in '75 on a '71 Triumph Tiger, and owned it until I bought the Sprint.

Other hobbies: gardening, cooking, woodworking, paying for rotten 24 year old son to go to college.
Welcome aboard!  Check out the Yamaha Euro Rack for the FJ-09 (MT-09 Tracer).  Great rack, no front lip, and uses the passenger grab bar mounts (they are removed) instead of sharing the saddlebag mounting bolts.  Do a search in this forum for them.  You'll find several people have them (including me) and there are pictures of them mounted.

• Premium Member
I commute to Snoqualmie Ridge from Issaquah on my FJ-09. I often return home via the Issaquah-Fall City road. It's way more fun than I90.

The lip on the USA Yamaha rack is on the top plate, not on the mounting bars. I removed the Yamaha top plate and replaced it with the mounting plate for my top box, so the lip is gone.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Archived