• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

CalSci Motorcycles

mmandell

Bought a bigger windshield for the bike from CalSci in West Sacramento.  Did a couple 1-2 hour rides and noticed a big difference in the amount of noise and wind hitting me.  The windshield is the +6" version for the FJ and is clear.  After 4 days of 50-80 mph riding in the heat and cold I am really happy with the performance.  Its definitely function over form.  The lower part matches the layout of the bike but the top is pretty generic looking, but is OK.  It helps so much I don't think I can go back to stock.  I can leave my visor lifted an inch or so up to about 45-50 mph now due to the higher shield.  Its a pretty simple install and everything is included.  I would highly recommend this windshield if you are doing any kind of sport touring or riding at maintained speeds over 40.

• 2 weeks later...
Just installed a CalSci medium (+6) and have done about 100 miles on 2 different days. I am about 5' 11" with a 32" inseam and according to CalSci's fitting algorithm, I specked out to a medium. The unwanted noise level is really down from stock. There is still some wind noise, but in my opinion, very acceptable. I like that I can now hear the exhaust tone with my ear plugs in, but minimal air noise. The windshield is short enough that I really can't look through it to drive without really leaning on the tank. Now I am waiting for my heated Corbin seat due to ship next week.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm debating a bigger 'screen now that the temps are dropping.  Can you guys post some pictures of your Calsci screens?  The ones on their website are pretty awful due to the cluttered backgrounds.

I had bought one for my '12 DL650, but found that the Givi Airflow was much better, but may be willing to give Calsci another try.

• 2 months later...
Update: I got my Calsci medium, and for the colder weather that arrived a month or so ago, it definitely provides much better coverage. Noise is still a bit of an issue, even in the high position. I am now contemplating a Puig deflector to add on to see if that will help with the noise.

Update: I got my Calsci medium about a month and a half ago. It definitely provides much better coverage for the colder weather that finally arrived here in the Midwest. It is still a bit noisy, though, which is disappointing. Also the plexi isn't as clear as it probably should be or when compared to the one from the DL650. I am now considering adding a Puig visor to try to kill the wind noise a bit better.

• Premium Member
I found the stock windscreen unacceptable for ME. Noisy as all get out. Better for me in the low position, but still noisy. Too noisy.Rode to Cal Sci today. I am 5"11 33 inseam. Ended up with the large shield even tho it was suggested I buy the med. Even in the high position I still look over the shield. Rode it 225 miles on slab, and twisties up to 85mph. HUGE difference. Much, much quieter with no buffeting. Not the prettiest shield but very, very effective. Really enjoyed the quiet during todsy's ride. Could really hear the triple's exhaust note!
Bought a few shields in my day and this shield nailed it perfectly for me. Function over form. See the shields on their interweb site. Me?
I am very pleased.
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I don't like windshields much. Every one I have had has resulted in lots of noise and buffeting. On the other hand, when I ride my KTM dirtbikes at the same speeds, my torso and helmet are in clean, laminar airflow, and those bikes have no windscreen at all, just a small number plate that holds the headlight.

I ordered a Madstad last Friday. The more I looked at it and thought about it, the uglier the thing looked, and I finally cancelled the order today. Instead, I ordered a California Scientific dark tinted shorty that looks like this:

FJ-09TS5.jpg

I am going to ride over there tomorrow and pick it up. I bet it will suit me fine.

I don't like windshields much. Every one I have had has resulted in lots of noise and buffeting. On the other hand, when I ride my KTM dirtbikes at the same speeds, my torso and helmet are in clean, laminar airflow, and those bikes have no windscreen at all, just a small number plate that holds the headlight. 
I ordered a Madstad last Friday. The more I looked at it and thought about it, the uglier the thing looked, and I finally cancelled the order today. Instead, I ordered a California Scientific dark tinted shorty that looks like this:

FJ-09TS5.jpg

I am going to ride over there tomorrow and pick it up. I bet it will suit me fine.
Be sure and update us the results. I bought one and installed it but it'll sit in the garage until the snow goes away.

• Premium Member
Be sure and update us the results. I bought one and installed it but it'll sit in the garage until the snow goes away.
I should have a pretty good idea after the 80 mile ride back home from West Sacramento.  I will give a report.

Archived