Ride .. L.A to Monterey

b12ty

Finally got away from work last week. Been over twenty years since I been on a solo ride up north. Took the slower scenic route. Stopped when I wanted, ate when I was hungry... good stuff. The FJ-09 did good on the tour side of sport-tourer. Almost 800mi.thumbup111.gif

Here are some pics. I took a ton of video also, will post a vid on youtube when I get around to processing it.

A couple of my favorite pics, more at link.

Monterey trip 9-30-15

Monterey%20or%20bust!.jpg

NW tip of Monterey peninsula, it dont get much purdyer than that...!

Sunset%20at%20Monterey%202.jpg

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
Nice.  Seeing the seal beach made me realize that you were on a lot of that same stuff I rode a year ago on a rented Versys.

We came down the PCH from SF to Pismo and later back up through the Central Valley along mostly 25.

Your sunset shot is way better than any picture I took. :-)

That trip was what convinced me to get rid of the Daytona and get the FJ.  13 hour days and no need of traction for my spine at the end of the day?  I'll take it!

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90318&g2_serialNumber=2
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90324&g2_serialNumber=2
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90362&g2_serialNumber=2
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90368&g2_serialNumber=2
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90372&g2_serialNumber=2

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Nice.  Seeing the seal beach made me realize that you were on a lot of that same stuff I rode a year ago on a rented Versys. 
We came down the PCH from SF to Pismo and later back up through the Central Valley along mostly 25.

Your sunset shot is way better than any picture I took. :-)

That trip was what convinced me to get rid of the Daytona and get the FJ.  13 hour days and no need of traction for my spine at the end of the day?  I'll take it!

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90318&g2_serialNumber=2
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90324&g2_serialNumber=2
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90362&g2_serialNumber=2
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90368&g2_serialNumber=2
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90372&g2_serialNumber=2

Hey, those pictures look awful familiar:-) Ya, the FJ is a great all around bike. This is the 1st time i've used it as a real tourer. My butt got a little sore. Not bad, I think if I toured a lot my butt would adjust, no problem. I didn't even notice the seat on the way down. And my back was pain free! 
Ty

• Premium Member
Hey, those pictures look awful familiar:-) Ya, the FJ is a great all around bike. This is the 1st time i've used it as a real tourer. My butt got a little sore. Not bad, I think if I toured a lot my butt would adjust, no problem. I didn't even notice the seat on the way down. And my back was pain free!
I found the cushion on the stock seat to have just about the right squish, but its shape made hot spots along my thighs after a few hours.  Even so it is one of the better stock seats I've had and I could have lived with it. 
The Comfort Seat got rid of the hot spots completely but uses firmer foam.  Too firm when I'm riding in mesh, although pretty much perfect in full gear.  Less monkey butt; the material, even though plasticky, breathes better than the stock vinyl.  I suspect merely putting on bicycle shorts under my mesh would completely fix the firmness issue; I will be trying that on my next long tour.

I totally hear you about "pain free back".  On my old Daytona I'd be half crippled inside of four hours (even eight years ago when I was more ... flexible).  I've done a number of back-to-back 9-13 hour days on the FJ and feel good at the end.  I'll take it.

Enjoy the riding out there.  I'm scheduled to do a trip out west again in August or September next year.  I've not decided if I'll rent another bike or ship out the FJ.  Financially it's close to a wash if I ship my bike, and of course MY BIKE is superior to rental, but it means a week without the bike on either end of the trip and I will go into withdrawal.

Post more pics to make me jealous. :-)
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Nice pics! I'm glad to see there aren't any mother rapers or father stabbers on the Group W bench.
That's because they were all sitting beside me inside the restaurant. :-) 
If you haven't ever gone, Alice's Restaurant on Skyline in Woodside south of San Francisco is a really terrific breakfast spot before riding.  Very good food and good roads all around.

[span]We got them to set aside the back room for our group.  I had a breakfast that couldn't be beat....

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90306&g2_serialNumber=2    

(I forget exactly, but I think that's an eggs benedict derivative with bacon and sausage gravy.  It was awesome.)[/span]
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Nice pics! I'm glad to see there aren't any mother rapers or father stabbers on the Group W bench.
That's because they were all sitting beside me inside the restaurant. :-) 
If you haven't ever gone, Alice's Restaurant on Skyline in Woodside south of San Francisco is a really terrific breakfast spot before riding.  Very good food and good roads all around.

[span]We got them to set aside the back room for our group.  I had a breakfast that couldn't be beat....

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90306&g2_serialNumber=2    

(I forget exactly, but I think that's an eggs benedict derivative with bacon and sausage gravy.  It was awesome.)[/span]
I guess you really CAN get anything you want....bahhaha.gif  Looks yummy!

TY

Archived