Play in rear suspension linkage

jeff400650

• Premium Member
I was just snugging up the axle nut after adjusting the chain, and noticed that there is about a 1/4 inch of loose movement up and down. With the bike on the center stand, I can grasp the rear wheel and lift up and get movement before actually compressing the spring. It seems like the bushing in the little dog bone link has play in it. Doesn't seem right to me. Bike has just under 5k miles on it.

Now everybody run out and check yours and tell me what you think....

Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

• Premium Member
I was just snugging up the axle nut after adjusting the chain, and noticed that there is about a 1/4 inch of loose movement up and down. With the bike on the center stand, I can grasp the rear wheel and lift up and get movement before actually compressing the spring. It seems like the bushing in the little dog bone link has play in it. Doesn't seem right to me. Bike has just under 5k miles on it. 
Now everybody run out and check yours and tell me what you think....

I believe there is already a thread on this. I will search later. Found it: linky

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Thanks for the link to the older thread, Lew. I guess it is not a major, immediate problem then. I am leaving for a 4 day trip to the Sierras with 7 friends tomorrow morning!

It still seems like a lot of play back there though. My 7 year old KTM 990 with 70,000 miles is completely solid...no play. I will keep a close eye on it and take it to the dealer and get their take on it when I get back.

Thanks for the link to the older thread, Lew. I guess it is not a major, immediate problem then. I am leaving for a 4 day trip to the Sierras with 7 friends tomorrow morning!  
It still seems like a lot of play back there though. My 7 year old KTM 990 with 70,000 miles is completely solid...no play. I will keep a close eye on it and take it to the dealer and get their take on it when I get back.
It can only happen with the shock fully extended and unloaded, like on the centerstand. In actual riding conditions, unless the rear gets airborne it will always be in a loaded state. No issue.

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
It seems like it would happen every time the spring goes from compressing to extending, even while under constant load. But maybe you are right, since even when extending, there is always upward pressure. Hmmm.

Archived