Front Wheel Slide....Oversteering?

ogri

• Premium Member
I couldn't see the surface properly, but on that type of road there are a number of things that could cause that. First is debris in the road - drift a little off the main line and you can hit gravillons as the French call them. Also in France, on hot days in the Vosges, we discovered the bitumen used to seal the cracks in the road can molten once it goes over 25C. Even a 30 tonne lump of Milwaukee pig iron had a front wheel slide on that stuff.

Just like the other crash, the root cause was probably rider error from poor forward planning.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I couldn't see the surface properly, but on that type of road there are a number of things that could cause that. First is debris in the road - drift a little off the main line and you can hit gravillons as the French call them. Also in France, on hot days in the Vosges, we discovered the bitumen used to seal the cracks in the road can molten once it goes over 25C. Even a 30 tonne lump of Milwaukee pig iron had a front wheel slide on that stuff. 
Just like the other crash, the root cause was probably rider error from poor forward planning.
The road surface didn't look great from the video, but who knows. The only time I've had my front end go out that fast was on gravillons in a corner riding a Suzuki Marauder. 
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

• Premium Member
I couldn't see the surface properly, but on that type of road there are a number of things that could cause that. First is debris in the road - drift a little off the main line and you can hit gravillons as the French call them.
That's my guess. 

• 1 month later...
Did you ease off the throttle just before it went down? I have realized mid corner that I was running wide and inadvertently closed the throttle before. Luckily, for me, I managed to muscle the bike upright in the process.

Closing the throttle, will slow the bike, but cause it to drop deeper into the lean. Combine that with countersteering To get back on your desired line, and a low side is threatening.

Did you ease off the throttle just before it went down? I have realized mid corner that I was running wide and inadvertently closed the throttle before. Luckily, for me, I managed to muscle the bike upright in the process. 
Closing the throttle, will slow the bike, but cause it to drop deeper into the lean. Combine that with countersteering To get back on your desired line, and a low side is threatening.
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment that chopping the throttle mid turn will cause the bike to 'drop deeper into the lean'.  Rather, chopping the throttle shifts more weight onto the front wheel.  When the front is near the limit of traction, and you shift a bunch of weight onto it, it may let go, and slide.

I looked up what you said, and you're correct. I must have overloaded the front tire. Anytime it has happened to me, the bike has felt like it dropped farther into the lean. I have stood it up some, come back on the throttle a fraction (2002 FZ1 has a tightly spaced throttle) and leaned it back over.

When I have accidentally closed the throttle, my bike feels like it's falling over.

Reacting to my gut is what I trust when it's gone to sh@t, it's too late to think it through.

• 1 month later...

Archived