Tire pressure (s)

papac2000

I did search and found no thread specific to this topic.
When I first got my FJ, I ran the recommended default 36/42psi tire pressures. As I got used to the bike and made minor suspension adjustments, I still found the rear suspension harsh. A friend of mine (and a licensed bike tech), mentioned that those pressures are prescribed to accommodate a wide range of rider/pillion/luggage loading situations and are therefore possibly high, especially in the rear for a solo rider. Add to that I am on the lighter end of the average rider at 165lbs without gear and it seemed to make sense. Additionally, within 3-4000km, I noticed a square strip beginning in the middle of the tire. With high pressure, the tire would put undue load on the center of the tire on a lightly load bike.
So....I have been experimenting over the last 2000km with about 4psi less in the rear and 1psi less front (35/38). I immediately noticed a slightly improved ride compliance with no loss in cornering confidence. Wear was much more even for the balance of the tire life (yup, done at 6200kms). All of this was on the stock tire, will be switching to PR3s and see how it compares and what pressure it likes.
Thoughts?
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• Premium Member
If it works for you, go with it.

I set my tyre pressures once in a blue moon so the pressure is going to change with ambient temperature, especially this time of year where it is 5C in the morning and maybe 18C or higher by mid-afternoon.

When I do notice a significant change in handling it is usually because one or both tyres have lost pressure by a significant amount. I certainly wouldn't notice much of a difference in 35psi compared to 36 in the front. A 4 psi drop in the rear may be more noticeable but I would probably just think the profile has begun to flatten off and ride around the problem...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Like you, I had been running 36/42 since I got my bike. Recently lowered the rear pressure to 36 as advised by an article in a bike mag with a tracer as a long term test bike. I immediately noticed an improvement. I'm about your weight and it has cured the majority of the harshness for me.
I found the bike a lot better 2up but now it's as nice to ride solo.

Only problem is I seem to switch between 2up and solo every ride which means max to min preload and changing tyre pressures before every ride. Might try & find a happy medium setting, if not I'll still have to buy a rear shock just for a remote preload adjuster

• Premium Member
Like you, I had been running 36/42 since I got my bike. Recently lowered the rear pressure to 36 as advised by an article in a bike mag with a tracer as a long term test bike. I immediately noticed an improvement. I'm about your weight and it has cured the majority of the harshness for me. I found the bike a lot better 2up but now it's as nice to ride solo.

Only problem is I seem to switch between 2up and solo every ride which means max to min preload and changing tyre pressures before every ride. Might try & find a happy medium setting, if not I'll still have to buy a rear shock just for a remote preload adjuster
I increased my preload to go on holiday with the luggage fitted. Now riding again without luggage but I have left the preload in the firmer setting due to laziness. I have got used to the firmer ride when riding solo...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived