Initial KLIM Apex Jacket Review

krackajak

• Premium Member
Wanted to post some initial thoughts. I've only done ~ 30 miles of riding with it. 

About me: I'm 6' 2" about 175 lbs. I ride street primarily to commute with my 08 FZ6. I ride dirt for fun. I've been riding about 10 years (in my mid twenties, rode dirt as a kid). I have never owned super nice gear so most of this review will be in comparison to my Joe Rocket jacket which is probably crap. 

The Apex arrived quickly via UPS in 2-3 days. I ordered the high-viz version in medium. I would consider the fit very good. There is enough room that I can easily wear a hoodie or jacket underneath it and not be tight. I am surprised at how well this jackets breathes. The sleeves could be 1" longer but I'm also pretty lanky. Jacket looks great and from what little I know, appears to be built very well. Lots of detail around seams and the zipper to keep water out. 

The jacket is very heavy compared to my old one. Easily 2x the weight. I think most of this is due to the pads which are made of a memory foam gel type material. Think similar Dr. Scholls inserts. My old jacket just had foam. Putting it on and initial movement felt very awkward and stiff, however, this jacket is amazingly comfortable in a riding position. No rubbing/chaffing/scratching etc. I ride with a backpack and the stiffness in the jacket definitely relieved some of the weight on my shoulders. 

The sleeve cuffs have good adjustment. I wear guantlet gloves so when its not raining the gloves go over the sleeves. When I switch to winter/rain gloves they will go under the sleeves and there is enough adjustability to do so. 

Overall a nice jacket. Probably the nicest piece of gear I own. I'm happy with it now, but expect it to be even better once it breaks in a bit. 

-Jeff

Archived