Thinking of Transition from FZ1 to FJ09 Thoughts on handling

Hey gang.  I'm pretty sure I know of the power / torque tradeoff's that I'll notice.  But I'm primarily interested in handling / suspension thoughts between a Gen 2 Fz1 and the FJ.  I'm not much of a suspension tuner, my FZ is at stock settings, but it feels pretty good.  I'm 6' 4" and I feel extremely cramped on the FZ1 (hence thinking of the switch) but would be great to hear if anyone has any positive / negative reactions on the handling / sportiness of the chassis between the two.  Or if there are any characteristics that are obvious that I might be able to think about now. 

Thanks! And if a previous post redirect is the way to go, a url would be helpful - I couldn't really find anything on that yet. 

• Premium Member
I've not ridden a FZ, so I can't offer a comparison. That said, the stock suspension is adequate for casual use, but if you like to push the limits, they can be stretched much further with a suspension upgrade. Many here have done so.

When I get around to it, the forks will get attention first. They're just too harsh in my view. I'm sure that I could adjust some of that out, but then other glaring inadequacies would become evident.

The rear shock doesn't seem to be too bad, but I'll be upgrading that as well. I do a lot of touring and a shock with remote preload adjuster would be welcome.

It's a fine bike. I'd recommend trying to get a test ride on one in order to see how it will work for you.

I came from riding a 2006 FZ6. The FJ09 has a more neutral seating position, even though the FZ6 was not aggressive, it still encouraged you to lean in to the bars a little. After getting used to the FJ, I found the handling and sportiness of the bike was just as good as the FZ6. The FJ is larger but you get used to it.

The FZ6 suspension is bottom of the barrel. It was fine for my style of riding though (I'm not a suspension tuner either). That being said, the FJ has a lot more controls on the stock suspension, forks and shock. I'm only 5'8" and the put the FJ seat in the high position and it feels comfortable and easy to ride. Hopefully the high seat would help you not feel so cramped.

• Premium Member
I hated the stock suspension on the second gen FZ1, which is why I ended up buying an F-Jay. Better wind protection, more torque actually, and better range/gas mileage. I love mine, but I did upgrade almost everything.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I have yet to ride a Yamaha that doesnt need a suspension upgrade. Of course, I dont got the super shiny, just the moderately. That being said:
Seat
Suspension
Windshield

Are must upgrades. Everything else is gravy on this sweet, sweet butterball. The engine knocks the cheese out of any of my other bikes (listed in my sig) and it is generally comfortable after the Seat Concepts upgrade. I rode a Russell Day Long on my V Strom and it was the most comfortable seat I have ever used car or bike! But the whole setup was distinctly non-sporty.

I think you would enjoy this bike. Realistically, I think its the FZ1's replacement. The MT10 we have seen is an uber hooligan, which I dont think the FZ1 is/was. But go sit on one, finds a dealer who will let you ride one. Right now your listening to the choir :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Hey Guys Thanks so much! 

This all sounds perfect.  @ Toon Bobo, I used to own an FZ6 - while unadjustable, I prefer that suspension to the FZ1 - Somehow I could just push that thing to it's limits and feel good doing it.  

Okey Dokey. I'm Game to grab an FJ, Looks like a lot of people are doing Emulators in the front forks.  Are the only options for the rear a custom replacement? Penseke / Ohlins etc? 

I owned both a Gen1 and Gen2 FZ1. Sold the Gen2 when I bought the FJ-09. For me the stock Gen2 FZ suspension worked fine and I would say I have a mildly aggressive riding style. I pushed the FZ pretty hard and was never disappointed in the handling. After 200 miles on the FJ I am redoing the suspension. The FJ has a good engine and is comfortable but it is built to a price. Be prepared to do some upgrades. I think I have about $2K in improvements in the bike. Too much money to spend on a $10K bike imo.

Hey Guys Thanks so much!  
This all sounds perfect.  @ Toon Bobo, I used to own an FZ6 - while unadjustable, I prefer that suspension to the FZ1 - Somehow I could just push that thing to it's limits and feel good doing it.  

Okey Dokey. I'm Game to grab an FJ, Looks like a lot of people are doing Emulators in the front forks.  Are the only options for the rear a custom replacement? Penseke / Ohlins etc? 

There was a long term test in Cycle World on the FZ-09 and they said RaceTech Goldvalves and springs in front and just a spring behind turned the bike into a decent handling machine.  Even said it performed ok on the track.  I sent my forks to RaceTech but have not been on the bike yet so I can't offer an opinion on how much better it is yet. 

Came from riding KTM's for years. Great suspension.

First Yamaha was 2006 FZ1. Loved it. But I changed the rear shock to an R1 unit, mounted upside down, with custom links I made to get it all working right, raised the rear slightly, gave better load capacity etc. (I'm a big dude, 6'2", and let's say me riding is like two well fed folks riding two up. ;))

So, had to sell the FZ1, divorce sucks.

And when it was all over, bought the 2014 FZ9. Great platform, but way too soft on the springs front and back. Fork dive on braking, rear pogo-effect over anything with bumps or in aggressive corners.

Engine issues with the cam chain tensioner killed that bike, and Yamaha to it's credit, finally after being faced with the reality I was going to crucify them in court, and public opinion, decided to warranty their CCT failure, and I traded the FZ09 in for a much better FJ09, 2015 model.

The 2015 FJ09 has springs that are selected for two up capable rides. (Thus they are able to handle more riders size, especially folks who like upright bikes like this.)
It's no off road master. (The low oil pan and lack of ground clearance makes off roading this bike not very smart without some serious mods.)
It's very fun around town. Plenty of power/tourqe. Controls are better than the FZ. Dash is better. Seat is better, bigger tank, and it's very subjective, but the tires are better.

The FZ has "sport" tires, while these for the FJ are touring, but they don't track ruts, ride smoother and seem to have the same, if not better grip than the ones on the FZ.... Go figure, but they inspire confidence where the FZ's stock tires are failures to do the same.

I love the LED headlight. The stock light on the FZ sucks ass. There is no other description that comes to mind.
The lights on my 2006 FZ1 were better than the FJ. (I had 55 watt HID's in there, and it was amazing.) But, for a STOCK light system, the LED's on the 2015 FJ09 are pretty dang good.

The FZ is smaller feeling, and looks like I'm riding a kiddy bike according to my buddies. (A very fast kiddy bike I reminded them often.) But the FJ09 looks bigger, even as I know it's the same frame/engine/wheels and basics, but the bike looks more refined, and is more upright to ride. (The taller bar mounts help there, as does the change in seat height, tank design etc.)

So, if you are 140lbs, and want a flickable bike that 2000.00 in suspension changes will fix, the FZ09 is a great choice.
IF you are more than 140lbs, and want a great handling bike that will allow you canyon carves it should not be capable of, while being your best friend day to day commuting to work, the FJ09 is the best pick.

The same 2000.00 on suspension will make it even better, but it's optional on the FJ, while it's MANDATORY on the FZ if you are more than 140lbs.

That's my .02 cents on having owned/ridden both now.

awesome write-up adjuster! I did not ride the FZ09 and got my suspension dialed in pretty good before swapping for aftermarket parts. It could have been ok for me but I got a screamin deal on a shock which then exposed the weakness of the forks blah, blah, blah new parts :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

... Too much money to spend on a $10K bike imo.
I'm not sure the starting price alone really matters much.  To me, it matters more that if I spend $12k or so on this bike with farkling the way I want to, I'll be happier than if I had spent the same or more on something else.  The closest competitor to the FJ is the Versys 1000 which MSRP is $12,799.  Putting $2k in the FJ to make it what I want, to me, is better than having that extra $2k in the purchase price and having someone else decide where to put the money.  I get to choose the bags, if I'm happy with the suspension or if I want to upgrade it what options I want in the suspension, if I want a loud exhaust or one that increases hp or if I'm happy with stock.  I can't make a single one of one those decisions and stay under $12k with the FJ's closest competitor.  I can make several with the FJ.  It's all relative and not to say the Versys is a bad bike or over priced by any means.  Quite the contrary, it seems to be a very good bike.

Archived