rear brake pulsing under hard braking

Please try hard braking via the rear brake in a safe manner/location and note the feedback at the pedal.

The pulsing is so pronounced, I'll bring this up at 1st service.

I've owned Honda ABS-equipped bikes.  Never felt this much modulation/pulsing :-/

Comments?

Mine seems fine. I use the back brake to control speed, not to stop. That's what I use the front brake for. Front brake is WAY better than the rear. As long as you apply the front a split second before the rear, you probably won't notice the ABS much at all. If you rely on the rear, it will kick in a lot.

Some Hondas have linked brakes, so you may have been applying both. I only use the rear for low speed and parking lots. At speed, as weight shifts forward, the rear loses contact. You can easily wash out by over braking with your rear. I tend to hit the front, then as the bike slows, apply a bit of rear as well. But I never touch the rear brake first when I am over 15 mph or so. 

Any MSF instructor will tell you not to use the rear brake hard on it's own, but only a supplement to hard front braking.

• Premium Member
Some Hondas have linked brakes, so you may have been applying both. I only use the rear for low speed and parking lots. At speed, as weight shifts forward, the rear loses contact. You can easily wash out by over braking with your rear. I tend to hit the front, then as the bike slows, apply a bit of rear as well. But I never touch the rear brake first when I am over 15 mph or so.  
Any MSF instructor will tell you not to use the rear brake hard on it's own, but only a supplement to hard front braking.
What he said. I have braked so hard on my old CBR954rr that the back end came up off the ground!! I also use the rear brake when lane splitting, but you don't have to worry about that unless you live in Cali.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived