FJ-09 Issues/Problems, and resolution?

Just wondering if this would the place for threads describing any problems owners had with their bike, and how they were fixed. For example, 2 members within a thread in the New Members Introductions section reported ABS issues.

Or should there be a separate section for that, maybe in the Garage?

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

I have had 2 issues with my bike so far in the 700 miles and 14 days of ownership. First was the ABS/Engine and TCS light were all illuminated when i went for the first test ride of the bike @ the dealership. They corrected this issue by tightening a bolt or sensor relating to the ABS sensor i believe.

The second issue arose about a week after purchase where the bike would be slow to crank and fire after sitting for about an hour or so. Once the bike had been running it would start up immediately.

I took it to the dealer for investigation and they could not reproduce the issue after letting it sit in front of a fan to cool down for about 45 minutes. Since this visit there have been no further instances of the issue. I have put about 600 miles on the bike since this was happening so i feel good that the issue has been resolved.

One issue is with handguard alignment. I can't seem to raise the left one to match the right without messing with the mirror position. I'll keep fiddling with it.

The other problem I had was when I banged my shin on the passenger grab rails, I resolved this issue by swearing at them, then removing them.

• Premium Member
I have had 2 issues with my bike so far in the 700 miles and 14 days of ownership. First was the ABS/Engine and TCS light were all illuminated when i went for the first test ride of the bike @ the dealership. They corrected this issue by tightening a bolt or sensor relating to the ABS sensor i believe. 
The second issue arose about a week after purchase where the bike would be slow to crank and fire after sitting for about an hour or so. Once the bike had been running it would start up immediately.

I took it to the dealer for investigation and they could not reproduce the issue after letting it sit in front of a fan to cool down for about 45 minutes. Since this visit there have been no further instances of the issue. I have put about 600 miles on the bike since this was happening so i feel good that the issue has been resolved.
Can you take a picture and post it up on the bolt to the ABS sensor that was tightened? I will then check mine. For your second issue, if it happens again, open your gas cap and see if the problem goes away. Sounds like a vent is pinched to me and opening up the cap will confirm that.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member

I had this same issue within my first 10 miles of riding. The dealer told me that "the computer indicated my abs sensor was bad on the front wheel" and replaced the sensor. I was told it's all fixed and hopefully will be picking it up this morning. Maybe something was loose and they just replaced the sensor as a precautionary, my fingers are crossed. They also told me they would let Yamaha know of the problem, probably so. They get reimbursed the cost.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

• 4 months later...
Hi, my bike has about 1600 miles and in the past week I've a minor issue that another person on here described. The bike cranks but doesn't fire.

Pretty much, I inserted the key, turned it on, and pressed the ignition button. The starter was trying to start the bike but nothing was happening. I let off the ignition, waited a sec, and then tried it a second time. The second time, it sounded like it wanted to start but it wasn't able to achieve proper idle rpm. Finally the third time after letting it crank a few seconds it started. The bike is only a month old so I do not believe it was the battery.

Also, just like the other poster, my bike had been sitting for about an hour or so. Any ideas what this could be? I did some research and other than the other dude in this thread, I could not find anyone else with a similar issue.

Guest dmizer
Just wondering if this would the place for threads describing any problems owners had with their bike, and how they were fixed. For example, 2 members within a thread in the New Members Introductions section reported ABS issues. 
Or should there be a separate section for that, maybe in the Garage?

There has been a fairly active section in the garage forum for a while: http://fj-09.org/board/29/fj-09-issues-solutions

I've had this same problem.  Really, don't worry. 

It's been discussed in the "Known Issues" forum.  

I subscribe to the theory that it's the Throttle Position Sensor, not any real engine or fueling issue.  Twerk the throttle a bit back and forth.  Park the throttle right back at 0.  Starts right up.

Archived