• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Questions about some Oregon roads

fanowater

• Premium Member
Planning to ride to Glacier National Park this summer and am looking at ways to come back thru Oregon.
Has anyone ridden any of the roads listed on the map link here: https://goo.gl/maps/joTxr8AbtqB2
It looks curvy and scenic - any comments?  Any better ways?  Our goal for this day would be Bend, Or .I love little back roads more than freeways - unless the asphalt is so chewed up you can't enjoy yourself.However, hwy 26 looks pretty nice as well: one lane each way, curvy, scenic.
Thanks in advance.Cheers

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

That is some glorious country there. You may find some gravel on that route and may see some areas that burned last summer. Neither of these should stop you from using that though. 26 from Mitchell to Prineville runs through the Ochoco's, seriously beautiful mini-range of mountains. There will be some long, flat sections of high desert too.

BTW, Hwy 26 is a main highway for Oregon. It is often 2 lanes, but it runs all the way to Portland.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

26 is a fairly high traffic road compared to others that are actually better motorcycle roads.

Baker City to 7, 7 to Sumpter, Granite, Ukiah, then the Oregon Scenic By-Way.

This is one of the best roads I have ever ridden, and I have ridden 36 in California (winding road 100+ miles) and LoLo Pass in Wa state (winding road 99 miles along a river). The above Oregon route is better in that on a weekday you are unlikely to see more than a handful of cars. I saw two on my last ride there. And, it is utterly beautiful until you're near the Columbia Gorge, and then there is the Columbia Gorge.

Check this out - http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Oregon_113.html

rode that last week up to Bridge of he Gods. Was a nice ride but cold :)

Cross the 205 bridge from Portland to Vancouver Washington take the first exit (SR14)and stay in the left hand lane head east and this will take you through some of the most beautiful parts of the Columbia gorge.

2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
26 is a fairly high traffic road compared to others that are actually better motorcycle roads.  
Baker City to 7, 7 to Sumpter, Granite, Ukiah, then the Oregon Scenic By-Way.

This is one of the best roads I have ever ridden, and I have ridden 36 in California (winding road 100+ miles) and LoLo Pass in Wa state (winding road 99 miles along a river). The above Oregon route is better in that on a weekday you are unlikely to see more than a handful of cars. I saw two on my last ride there. And, it is utterly beautiful until you're near the Columbia Gorge, and then there is the Columbia Gorge.

Check this out - http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Oregon_113.html
My planned route to Glacier goes thru John Day.  So, I was thinking of heading east on hwy 26 to hwy 245 to Baker (and then on the the Snake River and points north). Day 2:  https://goo.gl/maps/ogwygJPnzFN2.  Hwy 7 looks really cool.  Any thoughts on hwy 245?Unless my schedule opens up I only have 3 days to get from Santa Rosa, Ca to the east entrance of Glacier NP.  So need to make time as well as have fun. 
California 36 is one of my all time favorites.  I try to ride it at least once every year!  Hwy 96 and 299 are a blast as well, if not as tight and funky.
Thanks, Cheers

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
Cross the 205 bridge from Portland to Vancouver Washington take the first exit (SR14)and stay in the left hand lane head east and this will take you through some of the most beautiful parts of the Columbia gorge.
I rode most of the Gorge about 10 years ago when a friend and I rode to Portland and back.  Multnomah falls was really something and the Gorge was very pretty too!Thanks! 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
If you are going to Glacier, you might consider staying at the Laughing Horse Bed and Breakfast in Swan Lake. We absolutely love the place, and the food is top notch! Best,
Phil
laughinghorselodge.com/

Hey Thanks for the tip!So  if you go there again and head to Glacier thru Hungry Horse, you might want to try the BBQ at the Tamarack Lodge, if you haven't already.  Good stuff!9549 Hwy 2 E Hungry Horse, MT 59919
Cheers

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
If you are going to Glacier, you might consider staying at the Laughing Horse Bed and Breakfast in Swan Lake. We absolutely love the place, and the food is top notch! Best,
Phil
laughinghorselodge.com/

Hey Thanks for the tip!So  if you go there again and head to Glacier thru Hungry Horse, you might want to try the BBQ at the Tamarack Lodge, if you haven't already.  Good stuff!9549 Hwy 2 E Hungry Horse, MT 59919
Cheers

I did a Great Divide Ride in 2005, and stayed at the Laughing Horse the first night out. In 2009 we attended  a V Strom Rally in Boise, and went up to the Laughing Horse for a 2 night stay. We have talked about heading that way again, but haven't pinned anything down. Have made a note of the Tamarack, as I am a BBQ connoisseur. Riding and eating.....just doesn't get much better than that.  

Unfortunately, I have no specific roads to recommend as it's been about a decade or so since I rode there with a local buddy of mine. Buuuut, I can tell you that I was awestruck at the *size* and height of the trees on either side of us. Being a Mid-Atlantic based rider for most of my life, I've been privy to some very fine roads in VA, WV, NC, etc. And most of those roads were cut thru forests and such. But the foliage in Oregon simply *dwarfed* anything I had ever seen before.

We'd stop for a roadside piss break or summat and I was always taken aback at how straight and TALL the trees were. I'm sure you will have a stone cold blast no matter where you go there - I'm envious!!

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Ricks route is pretty awesome, but youre roue also looks amazing. I love that stretch of highway between Burns and John Day on 395. You will pass through a huge valley with a bunch of green roofed buildings that look newer. This is the site of our very own murderous cult! The Rajneeshi complex is now owned by someone else, but its an interesting tidbit of Oregon history.

Those nutburgers out in Malheur think they are the first we have ever had to deal with....
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
As others have said, your proposed route should be great fun. Just after you hit US-26 near Mitchell, be sure to take a detour to the Painted Hills overlook. It's about 6-7 miles off US-26 but the scenery is well worth it.

Archived