• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

I wish this were an oil joke, it would be a little cooler

Sooo, decided to change my oil (4000 mile mark) and I didn't have a oil filter wrench handy, so I did what I've always done on my vehicles- tap a screwdriver through it and then turn.
I measure the length of the new filter and get an approximate depth before starting. I feel like it went fine, no real issues, but when I removed the oil filter I realize that I put a pretty good ding on the oil cooler- uh oh, but it doesn't look too bad. Torque drain plug, hand tighten the new filter, and fill up with oil.

Start the engine - the oil level temporarily drops due to the new filter, and then BAM- blue fluid drips into the container still under the bike.
$270 on bike bandit for a new assembly.
Dang. Guess I'll order another oil filter, too.

Anyone done a replacement on this guy? I don't have a service manual, but I think if I drain the coolant and oil again it should just be pretty straight forward.

And if anyone else is thinking of just tapping a screwdriver through their filter, think twice, or at least angle it away from the oil cooler!

On my FZ-09 I always used the K&N #204 oil filter because it has the wrench fitting on the end. It should be a pretty basic install. Check eBay first to see if you can find one used. A lot of guys are wrecking their FZ-09's so there may be a used one out there somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
I actually patched it up with jb weld steelstik and a hose clamp. Stuck the putty to the clamp, moved it into position, tightened it up a bit. After a few min tightened some more. Let it set overnight. Anyway, held up to temperature, no leaks. Drove about 200 miles so far, still going strong!

I'm having a hard time visualizing how this happened. I, too, have punched a screwdriver thru a filter when some ham fisted git overtightened the filter. As long as the screwdriver is parallel to the ground, I don't see how this could happen. Is it not possible to access the filter in this manner and that's why it happened?

No matter, I hope you get your bike up and running again soon!!

PS: Another recommendation for the K&N filter. That 17mm nut is pure genius....
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
Ouch.  
The filter socket cap Honda sells works on all the filters I've installed except the K&N. They're a little too proud of their product for my tastes when it comes to pricing. Safety wire hole is nice but a worm clamp does the job. For those that have been over-tightened (usually the first filter change on new to me bikes) I've used a screwdriver as a last resort. Tapping with a chisel at the base has worked on a couple too.
I use a strap wrench like this for recalcitrant filters: 

$_57.JPG

Archived