FZ1 to FJ09 from Toronto, Canada

mardak

Hi guys. I recently traded my much loved 2010 FZ1 (Raven) for a '16 FJ09 (Raven). I wasn't really thinking of getting rid the fizzer, but got an ok trade-in price at the recent motorcycle show from Dewildt Yamaha. I put a stoopid amount of money into aftermarket goodies (dyno'd @ 140whp), but really don't need a bike that fast/crazy anymore. The FJ09 should be more suitable to my situation now (mix of commuting, pleasure, and 2 up riding). I know the gf will like the FJ more - both from a comfort standpoint, and less worry about me being a hooligan and falling off at 265km/h+. :D

I haven't ridden the FJ yet. Gotta wait till I get back from an amazing three month vacation in Costa Rica. Delivery is scheduled for the day after I get back in April. Plenty of time to research and load up on accessories/customizations. Can't wait to ride it!

Mark

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

• Premium Member
Hi guys. I recently traded my much loved 2010 FZ1 (Raven) for a '16 FJ09 (Raven). I wasn't really thinking of getting rid the fizzer, but got an ok trade-in price at the recent motorcycle show from Dewildt Yamaha. I put a stoopid amount of money into aftermarket goodies (dyno'd @ 140whp), but really don't need a bike that fast/crazy anymore. The FJ09 should be more suitable to my situation now (mix of commuting, pleasure, and 2 up riding). I know the gf will like the FJ more - both from a comfort standpoint, and less worry about me being a hooligan and falling off at 265km/h+. :D 
I haven't ridden the FJ yet. Gotta wait till I get back from an amazing three month vacation in Costa Rica. Delivery is scheduled for the day after I get back in April. Plenty of time to research and load up on accessories/customizations. Can't wait to ride it!

Mark

Welcome, two similar bikes that are totally different. Hope you enjoy your F-Jay as much as I do. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Yes indeed, welcome to the club!! The FJ is *almost* a perfect bike. But don't worry, the spendthrifts on this forum will have you opening your wallet very wide with all the suggested farkles. And please allow me to be the first <g>.

1) Coming from such a high HP bike (146 rwhp - WOW!!) you may want to consider an aftermarket exhaust and ECU flash. I recommend either the Akrapovic or Arrow exhausts, they look the business and definitely deliver on their looks performance-wise.

2) Hand in hand with a new exhaust, an ECU flash will add an additional 10-15 rwhp, very handy when riding 2-up. Plus it'll remove the ridiculous 115 mph top end that Yamaha programmed in. You'll get better fuel mapping as a bonus - w00t!!

3) Some frame sliders might be in order, especially if you happen to put a foot down in a greasy spot when stopping. Don't ask me how I know <g>! I recommend the Woodcraft sliders, very cleverly engineered and not very expensive at $38. They can also double as foot perches for when the old knees start complaining. A great twofer if ever there was one!

4) Suspension, front and rear. You will most likely want to replace the stock rear spring with a heavier duty unit, I have Race Tech and it works great! The front suspension definitely cries out for some Race Tech Gold Valves or something similar from Traxxion and others.

5) A new seat. Oh my Lord yes, *anything* but the 2x4 plank that Yamaha provides stock. And their "comfort" seat option is no better. Think either Corbin, Sargent, or Russell if you plan to do any longer duration trips. I got the Corbin and it is delightful. *Plus*, you can even have it built with a seat heater for colder weather riding.

6) A new windshield. Most of us find the stock windshield (std and tall versions) to be a bad corporate joke from Yammie. Most folks sing the praises of Givi, Parabellum, and Madstad. I got the Madstad because to this engineer it appeared to be the most well-engineered, aerodynamically correct unit. I thoroughly adore mine and would NEVER go back to the stocker.

7) Grip heaters. Pay for the stock units, they are well designed and integrate perfectly with the bike's info. display. $285 and worth every single penny.

8) Luggage. I highly recommend the stock Yamaha City Cases - they have, BY FAR, the best looking, most inconspicuous mounts, and offer plenty of room for even longer trips with your pillion mate. Be sure to get them keyed to match the ignition. It only costs $40-$80 and is well worth that paltry sum in not having to fiddle about with mis-matched keys in the dark.

That should keep you busy, and poor, for awhile....<g>!!

Best Wishes,
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Yes indeed, welcome to the club!! The FJ is *almost* a perfect bike. But don't worry, the spendthrifts on this forum will have you opening your wallet very wide with all the suggested farkles. And please allow me to be the first .  
1) Coming from such a high HP bike (146 rwhp - WOW!!) you may want to consider an aftermarket exhaust and ECU flash. I recommend either the Akrapovic or Arrow exhausts, they look the business and definitely deliver on their looks performance-wise.

2) Hand in hand with a new exhaust, an ECU flash will add an additional 10-15 rwhp, very handy when riding 2-up. Plus it'll remove the ridiculous 115 mph top end that Yamaha programmed in. You'll get better fuel mapping as a bonus - w00t!!

3) Some frame sliders might be in order, especially if you happen to put a foot down in a greasy spot when stopping. Don't ask me how I know ! I recommend the Woodcraft sliders, very cleverly engineered and not very expensive at $38. They can also double as foot perches for when the old knees start complaining. A great twofer if ever there was one!

4) Suspension, front and rear. You will most likely want to replace the stock rear spring with a heavier duty unit, I have Race Tech and it works great! The front suspension definitely cries out for some Race Tech Gold Valves or something similar from Traxxion and others.

5) A new seat. Oh my Lord yes, *anything* but the 2x4 plank that Yamaha provides stock. And their "comfort" seat option is no better. Think either Corbin, Sargent, or Russell if you plan to do any longer duration trips. I got the Corbin and it is delightful. *Plus*, you can even have it built with a seat heater for colder weather riding.

6) A new windshield. Most of us find the stock windshield (std and tall versions) to be a bad corporate joke from Yammie. Most folks sing the praises of Givi, Parabellum, and Madstad. I got the Madstad because to this engineer it appeared to be the most well-engineered, aerodynamically correct unit. I thoroughly adore mine and would NEVER go back to the stocker.

7) Grip heaters. Pay for the stock units, they are well designed and integrate perfectly with the bike's info. display. $285 and worth every single penny.

8) Luggage. I highly recommend the stock Yamaha City Cases - they have, BY FAR, the best looking, most inconspicuous mounts, and offer plenty of room for even longer trips with your pillion mate. Be sure to get them keyed to match the ignition. It only costs $40-$80 and is well worth that paltry sum in not having to fiddle about with mis-matched keys in the dark.

That should keep you busy, and poor, for awhile....!!

Best Wishes,

Thanks for the advice. I suspect I'll have a pile of parts waiting before I even take delivery (I voided the warranty on the FZ1 within a week). Thankfully some of the farkles I removed from the FZ1 will work with the FJ - soft bags, gpr steering damper (confirmed they will sell me just the mounting hardware to swap it over), led turns, frame sliders (with some mods). I'm bummed to find out I could have used the Penske 8393 from the old bike though. :(

I'll miss the awesome sound of the Mivv pipe on the FZ1 the most. Best sounding exhaust I've ever heard. Loud, but oh so sweet...

Leaning towards Graves exhaust, 22" Madstad windshield, ecu flash, front/rear suspension, heated grips, ktm handguards, and new seats right away. Unsure of the best seat for me. I really struggled to find one that worked for me on the FZ1, and ended up pretty happy with a customized stock seat from Eddie Copeland (FZ1 forums). I'm over 230lbs, and none of the off-the-shelf options were comfortable, the worst being the Sargent. I recently contacted Eddie, and he can do the 'big guy' seat mods on the FJ as well.

At $1300+ Cdn the side cases are too rich for me. Maybe next year...

Mark.

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

• Premium Member

Leaning towards Graves exhaust, 22" Madstad windshield, ecu flash, front/rear suspension, heated grips, ktm handguards, and new seats right away. Unsure of the best seat for me. I really struggled to find one that worked for me on the FZ1, and ended up pretty happy with a customized stock seat from Eddie Copeland (FZ1 forums). I'm over 230lbs, and none of the off-the-shelf options were comfortable, the worst being the Sargent. I recently contacted Eddie, and he can do the 'big guy' seat mods on the FJ as well.  

Mark.

A big +1 on all of your listed farkles. Would be interested in knowing your weight and inseam regarding the saddle. And a pic of the saddle if you go with Eddys. As far as the side cases go, have you considered the SW Motech Blaze bags? They are way cheaper, and hold as much as the hard cases. Don't know what your expectations are for the luggage, but these in combination with some other options might provide you with a light weight way to tour. Thats what I am aiming for as I have them and am going with the Ventura luggage system. I figure if you can't get it done in 90 liters, you might as well stay home. And I don't plan on camping any more. Gucchi touring for me from now on, LOL. 

Mark.

A big +1 on all of your listed farkles. Would be interested in knowing your weight and inseam regarding the saddle. And a pic of the saddle if you go with Eddys. As far as the side cases go, have you considered the SW Motech Blaze bags? They are way cheaper, and hold as much as the hard cases. Don't know what your expectations are for the luggage, but these in combination with some other options might provide you with a light weight way to tour. Thats what I am aiming for as I have them and am going with the Ventura luggage system. I figure if you can't get it done in 90 liters, you might as well stay home. And I don't plan on camping any more. Gucchi touring for me from now on, LOL.

I have a set of SW Motech soft bags, and really like them. I'll need a new set of brackets though. I'm curious if the Yamaha soft bag mounts will work. I haven't set my tank bag on the FJ yet, but I'm guessing it'll work fine as well (just need a tank ring mount for it). Kinda nice not to have to buy an entire new set of luggage for the new bike.

My inseam is 30" (I'm all torso). I'll report back on my seat choice when the time comes. If I get a set that doesn't require the stock ones I'll definitely send them down to Eddy to work his magic on them. He only charges $130 for the front seat, and $75 for the pillion. Can't hurt
to have two sets of seats.

Mark.

Mark.

I have a set of SW Motech soft bags, and really like them. I'll need a new set of brackets though. I'm curious if the Yamaha soft bag mounts will work. I haven't set my tank bag on the FJ yet, but I'm guessing it'll work fine as well (just need a tank ring mount for it). Kinda nice not to have to buy an entire new set of luggage for the new bike.

My inseam is 30" (I'm all torso). I'll report back on my seat choice when the time comes. If I get a set that doesn't require the stock ones I'll definitely send them down to Eddy to work his magic on them. He only charges $130 for the front seat, and $75 for the pillion. Can't hurt
to have two sets of seats.

Mark.

• 1 month later...

I (finally!) picked up my new '16 yesterday. I ordered it back in January, but had to wait until I got back from vacation to get it. It's still cold here, and was raining, so I picked it up in a rental van. She's now sitting in my dining room, waiting to be farkled all to hell. Yes, I have a very understanding girlfriend. :) After I moved in with her a year ago I had to give up my shop, so nowhere else to work on it...

t3jpvq4.jpg

Here's the pile of parts that is going on the bike. I'm going to be a busy guy. The bike has zero km's on it (didn't even let my dealer test ride it), so I won't have any before/after impressions, but I'm confident that the research and advice I received on this forum will only improve this bike.

- Mivv Carbon Oval Cap full exhaust
- MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control
- Corbin seat w/ heater and oval backrest
- Forks by Matt intermediate fork package
- JRi Double adjustable shock
- GPR steering damper
- Givi D2122S windscreen
- MT-09 Adventure footpegs
- Motodynamic integrated taillight (smoke)
- Motodynamic flushmount front signals
- Motodynamic fender eliminator
- OEM heated hand grips
- Ebay RideIt Shorty clutch and brake levers
- T-Rex sliders (frame, front/rear wheels)
- Graves block off plates
- SW Motech Blaze side bags
- SW Motech tank bag
- Shad SH48 top case w/ backrest
- Yamaha rear carrier
- KTM handguards
- Vibranators
- Grip Puppies
- Ebay carbon fibre fender extender
- Pyramid Plastics rear hugger extender
- Extra 12v power port (oem)
- Eastern Beaver 3 circuit accessory fuse panel (switched)
- ECU tune

• Premium Member
Here's the pile of parts that is going on the bike.  

That is quite a pile of parts. If I may, let me suggest two that I thought were most important. First remove the fuel sticker and place it on the bottom of the seat pan. It is just cosmetic, but really ruins the look. Then get some mirror extenders if you want to see behind you. The stock mirrors can only look sideways. Farkle on! 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Here's the pile of parts that is going on the bike.  

That is quite a pile of parts. If I may, let me suggest two that I thought were most important. First remove the fuel sticker and place it on the bottom of the seat pan. It is just cosmetic, but really ruins the look. Then get some mirror extenders if you want to see behind you. The stock mirrors can only look sideways. Farkle on!
Funny you should mention the sticker.  It was my first "mod" last night.  :)   I'm also thinking of either removing the ugly red pin stripes, or changing them to something more subtle.  Why the hell did they put a red sticker on a black bike?  I'm thinking of murdering this bike right out, including 'blackening' the lower peg holder dealies, black ceramic coating the Mivv exhaust, and anodizing those gawd awful gold forks black. 
I'm going to fabricate some mirror extenders.  Had to wait until I got the bike to make sure the mirrors won't stick out too far with extenders to clear the fence gate to the backyard.  Installed the Corbin seat and Givi windscreen already.  The Corbin was ridiculously expensive - with shipping to Canada and sh!tty exchange rate it was $1453 Cdn to my door (heated seat + backrest).  Ouch!  It seems quite firm, but I'm going to spin the bike around to face the TV and sit on the bike (and make 'vroom vroom' noises) while I watch the tube to help break it in.  My ass better thank me.  Wait... That sounds just wrong...

Mark.

Archived