AP900C Ride-By-Wire Cruise Control

• Premium Member
About a month ago I was made aware of a cruise control system that had been adapted for use with R-B-W motorcycles.  It was half the cost of other brands that require servos and brackets. 
I called the manufacturer and explained I wanted to install this on an FJ 09 and would it be compatible. They said if I was willing to splice a few wires the cc should work with any R-B-W system.  So I placed an order.  Shortly after, Cruizin announced the possibility of a plug-n-play version in the near future. I called my contact at the supplier to ask if I should wait until the plug-n-play version was available. I was told they were having trouble finding an FJ for R&D testing and would I mind working with them on this project. Not at all I replied. 
I'm not going to go into the installation in this thread as yours will be different. If you have specific questions feel free to ask. Also I don't want to steal Cruizin's thunder as he's done a lot to make this available. I will say the customer service and tech support I have received has been second to none.
I received with the kit:
AP900C cruise control unit 
Trail Tech handle bar switch
LED system status indicator 
All necessary wiring harnesses 
Excellent installation/user guide

This is how I mounted the TT switch and LED indicator.  You will note I have KTM hand guards which allowed me to move the OEM controls over 3/4".

I took the OEM switch apart and installed the LED in the blank plug where the factory cc on/off button would be. 

4359703.jpg

I mounted the control unit in the plastic tray just forward the tool storage and under the seat brace.

4359712.jpg

For my wire connections that didn't require soldering I used PosiTaps.
I then performed the initial setup detailed in the manual.

Operation:
This kit literally performs as well as the CC in my Jeep. Engagement is simple, press the middle on/off button (LED  glows green), when desired speed is reached press the  (upper) set button (LED turns red), let the cc take over and enjoy the ride. 
The cc maintains speed very smoothly. I live in mountainous San Diego and when ascending a grade at 70mph it may drop to 69 before quickly recovering. To fine tune your speed merely press the Accel (top) or Decel (bottom, also Resume) buttons.
The cc can be disengaged by using either brake,  pulling the clutch lever, or pressing the on/off button. 

I am extremely pleased with this kit. It's by far the best upgrade I have done to my FJ. With the plug-n-play version I'm sure I could install it in about 2hrs.

• Premium Member
Something else I want to mention since I've seen it asked.
The twist throttle does not react to the input from the cc because there is no mechanical connection between the throttle cable and throttle bodies. You can however override the cc for passing acceleration and the set speed will be resumed when the throttle is released.

How much was the final cost to you? Thanks!!
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Awesome, I can't wait to order one. To me, it's the same price as the inevitible day I get a speeding ticket with this bike.
I actually speed more on the FJ09 that I did on my R6, because the FJ09 is so quiet. The R6 I knew when I was going to fast, because I had a very loud exhaust on it!

• Premium Member
Awesome, I can't wait to order one. To me, it's the same price as the inevitible day I get a speeding ticket with this bike. I actually speed more on the FJ09 that I did on my R6, because the FJ09 is so quiet. The R6 I knew when I was going to fast, because I had a very loud exhaust on it!

Off topic:
I just put the M4 exhaust on my FJ. Great sound without being annoying or droning on the highway. Great price too, $380 shipped from Amazon prime.
Back on topic:

Rocky5000100 wrote: "The R6 I knew when I was going to fast, because I had a very loud exhaust on it! "

Yes, but the important thing is how many lives did you save by having a loud pipe ??
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Rocky5000100 wrote: "The R6 I knew when I was going to fast, because I had a very loud exhaust on it! " 
Yes, but the important thing is how many lives did you save by having a loud pipe <g>??
Well I'm still here, so maybe it worked ha! 
Actually I attribute my safety to using my high beams during the day.

Archived