Difference between '15 and '16 Model Year?

Hi all, New to the forum. First post. Quick intro - 28 yrs old, have been on dirt bikes since 14. Have had a couple Honda 954rr's, a VFR800 and most recently a Kawasaki Z1000. Not brand bias - want to ride whatever suits me. The Z1000 was a fun bike, but not for rides longer than a couple miles. Looking to get into something more sport-touring-adventure styled and the FJ ended up on my radar.

Called around and a local place has a couple new 2016 and one used 2015 w/2k miles and factory frame sliders. Plus an extend warranty good until 2020. Question: are there any major differences between the 2015 and 2016 models, aside from paint color options that would push me to buy the 2016 vs. the 2015?

Any/All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Robb
'15 FJ-09 (Red) - DIY OEM Tidy Tail - Updated Oil Pan

• Premium Member
Paint and possibly oil pan. Oil pan on 2015 and some 2016 has the drain plug in the center of the pan. Newer pan on some 2016 models has the drain plug on the side. If you search you will find 2 threads. One thread discusses a few individuals who bottomed out and ripped the center plug out. The other thread covers modifying the pan for better drain plug clearance.
If you plan any off road ridding you may want the newer pan. I believe I heard one member here had his dealer install the newer pan on a 2015.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

• Premium Member
Yea, what root said. I type slow. Lol
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

Archived