Adding an accessory mounting bar?

Only modification I made was to drill a hole close to the center of the mount. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. It doesn't seem like the photos are working, what was the point of drilling 2 holes in the windshield bracket if you're running a bolt thru one of them and thru the other hole in the ram mount?
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

• Premium Member
I drilled a hole in the ram mount center, the lower second hole on the ram
part is to low to line up with the steel bracket behind the screen nicely as
the ram part needs to be as high as possible to make attaching arms easy.

The bracket on the bike needs two holes drilled in it to line up with the ram
stock hole closest to the ball and the second hole you drill between the two stock holes on the ram mount, this is because the bikes steel bracket gets narrower where the lower ram mount hole is, though i suppose you could get away with a much smaller bolt/hole and use washer if you really wanted.    
 4522888.jpg

4522889.jpg

Take a look at this schematic. The part we are using as a mount is part number 11.
Schematic
The RAM mount is being mounted right between the two holes in the center of the cross beam in the "H". You could try and use one bolt. If you do the bolt could slip and allow the RAM mount to tilt. We don't like tilting, so we drill a second hole for a second bolt. In my case I opted for a metal screw into the solid body of the RAM mount. The large bolt holds the RAM mount in place, the metal screw simple simply keeps the thing from ever tilting.
There is a small curved lip on the support stay, part number 11. In order to let the RAM mount lay flush against the stay for the most secure mounting method we needed to either grind or otherwise mill away that lip for the width of the RAM mount. It will then lie flat on the mount and makes for secure attachment to the support stay. In my case I am never going back to the stock screen so I milled the two top halves of the arms off, leaving me with an inverted U support stay. I suppose if you are using an aftermarket screen and it gave you enough room you could leave them in place, remove the rubber bumpers(part 12) and use them for mounting locations for various goodies.
Hope that helps.

I 100% understand how this works now, thank you both for taking the time to explain. I think I'm going to keep the support bracket arms in place as I have a Givi D2122s windscreen that sits against said supports.

What a clean install location that looks to be, just mounted my ram xgrip on the handlebar clamp bolts, but am going to do this as well for other goodies.

Thank you!
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

• 3 months later...
I used the RAM handlebar mount also, the item pictured above with the two screw mount. It came in the box with my Garmin Zumo 660. I mounted it around the metal windshield bracket that came with my V Stream windshield. It is solid as a rock and sits just above the speedo and tac as the others have pictured above. This took only a few minutes. I am very happy with this as I did have to fabricate a custom mounting plate from aluminum as I did on several other bikes. I plug the power cord into the "cigarette lighter" receptacle.

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
Ok... I have all the parts to try this modification. I'll be doing this. I think that if I don't like it I can take it off and it won't be seen anyway. I hope to get a start on this soon. However, family is coming for a week starting in the middle of next week.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Archived