Rear Rack

cameron12x

Got my rack on fleabay. Just got it today. Haven't installed it yet.  
I paid slightly less than msrp, but since it seems like everything is on back order these days I decided I better get it "while supplies last"...

curious about the mt-09 tracer rack. looks good from the fb pic.  is that the one you ordered? 

Easy- 15 minutes tops. Just need to undo the 4 bolts for the saddlebag racks and the 2 bolts for the handholds and bolt it together. I just found another rear rack if your interested. Its on the European facebook page and its their oem accessories I think. https://www.facebook.com/mt09tracer
Another link, to a Norwegian dealer (I think it's the importer of Yamahas):

http://yamahamc.com/collections/yamaha-originalutstyr/mt-09-tracer

Can you verify if the rack will accept the standard FJR trunk. Not that I will do that. I have a Givi trunk that I would like to use. I am assuming, if so, the Givi adapter plate for the FJR will connect to this rear rack also.

Phil, it looks like the rear rack is set up for Yamaha top trunks.  Slightly different connection than Givi.  That is not saying that you couldn't remove the Yamaha plastic rack and adapt a Givi mounting plate.  You might be better off just waiting for Givi to come out with a rear rack for their top cases.  They do a good job on these. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Can you verify if the rack will accept the standard FJR trunk. Not that I will do that. I have a Givi trunk that I would like to use. I am assuming, if so, the Givi adapter plate for the FJR will connect to this rear rack also.

Phil, it looks like the rear rack is set up for Yamaha top trunks.  Slightly different connection than Givi.  That is not saying that you couldn't remove the Yamaha plastic rack and adapt a Givi mounting plate.  You might be better off just waiting for Givi to come out with a rear rack for their top cases.  They do a good job on these.
This begs the question:  Are Givi or Shad boxes any better than the factory Yamaha trunks?  FWIW, I intend to buy the factory sidecases, and also fit a trunk with enough capacity to hold 2 full face helmets.  I'm very interested in hearing if others are also planning to buy a trunk, and how others feel the Yamaha top case compares to the offerings from Shad and Givi. 

This begs the question:  Are Givi or Shad boxes any better than the factory Yamaha trunks?  FWIW, I intend to buy the factory sidecases, and also fit a trunk with enough capacity to hold 2 full face helmets.  I'm very interested in hearing if others are also planning to buy a trunk, and how others feel the Yamaha top case compares to the offerings from Shad and Givi. 

I have been using a $50 JCWhitney top box for the last 8 years.  I has been performing Excellent.  I  painted the top lid to match the bike and it looks great.  Not as refined as the Givi or Shad but it does the job.  All these top  boxes look to big on the FJ, IMO.  Had to add that bit on personal aesthetic opinion.  Based on putting one of my 46 liter top boxes on the rear rack.  Side bags look to big too.  I will ride with a smaller tail bag most of the time, only using the side bags when on trips.  Pic of a JCWhitney top box painted to match bike on a FJR.xfinity.comcast.net 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I too had one of those JC Whitney top cases on a different V-Strom I owned.  It worked well enough for my intended purposes.

I wonder if they will fit on the FJ-09   :-/

EDIT:  I just ordered this one: http://www.jcwhitney.com/p2010969/sku-346516.jcwx  (Copy and paste into browser; link doesn't work for some strange reason.)

I ordered the smaller one as I think the large one will look too big and I don't think I need that much space.  

There is a special deal running through tomorrow:  Free shipping and 10% off your purchase if you use this promo code:  1SW2015

So, my OTD price was a whopping:  $38.03   :)

Read all of the reviews before ordering.  But at this price, the risk is pretty low.  I'll post again in a few weeks after it has arrived, I've installed it (hopefully it will install), and I've ridden with it.  

Given it's Winter, I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to ride again here in central Ohio.   ???

Archived